Chapter 9

I woke up from a dream of that night, the night Jeff tried to kill me. He hadn't changed much, still a psycopathic killer. It made me wonder if he actually cared, or if he was using me for his selfish ways. I tried not to look at the scar on my cheek as I readied myself for my adventure.

Applying a minimal amount of makeup and running a comb throgh my hair, I also avoided my eyes. Even if Jeff was using me, I'd still do this for my mother. He couldn't care less aout her, and I was surprised he waited this long to finally give word that I still had a choice. I'd have expected him to kill us by now, and these thoughts shooed away the earlier excitment of seeing him soon.

I crept down the stairs, careful not to awaken my snoring mother. I hadn't asked how her cookies went, and I'd probably forget about it later. Right now, I had work to do. I was quiet and careful until I closed the back door, hoping she wouldn't notice I was gone.

I had the address memorized, having repeated it in my head, waiting for sleep. It was a longer walk than I was comfortable with, but I had no choice. I couldn't use the car without my mom freaking out, and I didn't want to drag anyone else into this.

~Jeff's POV~

I was sitting in the clearing, drenched in blood, my knife thrown away from me in a fit of rage. My head was cradled in my hands, an unrecognizable lump in my throat. I'd killed countless people in my absence, but it wasn't an absence. I had no one to go back to.

I knew I shouldn't be leading Mandy on like this, knew I could never call her mine. I wanted her in a way I'd never wanted anything else before. I'd wanted to kill, to be angry, to die. But I'd never wanted anything like I wanted her.

New feelings were forming in my psychotic mind, and I hated them. I wanted to stab that blasted knife into my head and rip those feelings out. I wanted to be the killer I was before, but I couldn't stop this.

The lump was suffocating me, and I didn't know why. I should've killed her and her mother while I had the chance. I was in her fucking living room, right next to her! What's wrong with me?

I stood up, retrieving my rusting knife. I'd have to remember to get a new one when I had the chance. My stomach felt empty, and as soon as that revelation hit, it growled profusely. I had no money, and my place had no food. Jack has been out for a while, no doubt doing something more interesting than me.

That meant I had only one place to go, but it was dripping in the stench of the one person I wanted to avoid. I went there anyway.

It was a long trip, but one I'd taken before. But those trips were to see her, and with this one I hoped to avoid her. I got there with no complications, surprised to find the back door unlocked. Was she waiting for me?

I searched her fridge for something appetizing and found slices of packaged chicken. I ate them, forgetting the bread. I finished half the package before I realized I shouldn't leave any clues that I was here. I put them back and listened for any footsteps.

A clock over the sink told me it was 7:26, long before anyone would get up on a weekend. I got the urge to creep up the stairs and lay in her bed. I knew she was up there sleeping, and that encouraged me even more.

I sighed and tiptoed up the stairs. As much as I wanted to see her, I didn't want her to see me. I slowly turned the knob and pushed her door open. I quickly stepped in and shut the door behind me, and braced myself to see her. But when I made my way to her bed, she wasn't there. Where is she?

I lifted her blankets and climbed into her bed, mimicking her position as she slept. Her pillow smelled like her hair, and I could feel her figure molded into the mattress.

Now was one of the times I wished I could close my eyes. Then I could imagine her here with me, instead of being alone and sad. I hated myself for this, but I didn't want to stop.

I took the knife out of my pocket and pricked my finger with it. It didn't hurt, so I put it away again. I watched the blood trail down my finger, stopping at my white wrist. I could see the too prominent veins jump in time with my heartbeat.

I stayed there for as long as I dared, hoping and dreading that she would come back. But 15 minutes passed, and there was no sign of her. I left, searching for shadows once again.

~Mandy's POV~

I carefully placed the package on the doorstep, knocked, and started walking down the street. I pulled my hood up so I couldn't be recognized. I was halfway down the block, relieved from hearing nothing so far.

My heart was pounding so hard that I had to sit down at the base of a tree. Hopefully the man hadn't heard me and wasn't coming out. I covered my face with my hands and took deep breaths.

"He's using you ya'know."

I jumped at the mans voice and struggled to stand up. The man had been behind the tree, and I was stupid enough not to notice him.

"Are you not going to answer me?"

"Uh, what?"

He sighed and repeated himself.

"Who's using me?"

"Jeff. He doesn't really care about you."

I looked away from him, then straight into the eyes of a mask. His mask was deep blue with black dripping from the eyes.

"I have no clue what you're talking about, so I'm just gonna go."

I turned to leave and he grabbed my arm.

"What the hell? Let me go!" I shrieked.

He tugged me to him, wrapping his arms around me. His face was right next to my ear and it scared me. Jeff I could trust; this freak was a threat.

"I'm not stupid, little girl. I know you're Jeff's plaything. He's using you and it'd be best for all of us if you fuck off and leave him alone."

I elbowed him in the stomach, but he didn't so much as flinch. I heard him chuckle under the mask, just before he wrapped his hands around my throat.