Chapter 18

I felt a tentacle on my forehead, and suddenly I had the urge to itch everywhere. I peeled my eyelids apart and saw Slendy standing there. I tried to say something but discovered my mouth felt like a bad trip. I croaked instead.

"Here," Jack said from beside me.

He handed me a cup of water. I gulped greedily and handed it back to him. Jeff and Ben weren't here, and I wondered if something was wrong.

"They're busy killing things probably. Jeff doesn't even know you're awake. I wanted to see what he's done to you first."

I touched my face and found the bandages off. My skin felt like leather, and I could already tell my dry hair was black and mostly gone.

"How will I ever live a normal life now," I asked dryly.

"We've taken you out of your mothers house. Technically, you were found dead in a river, with bruises, a gun shot wound, and your face so badly cut up its unidentifiable. You're going to be staying with Jeff and I, but Slendy won't be far if you need him. For anything."

"How long have I been out?"

"A couple months. Two to be exact."

"Why did he do this to me?" I whispered to myself.

Jack heard me and shrugged. He pulled his mask from his face and Slenderman made a startled noise. Jack leaned down over the bed and kissed me quickly. It didn't feel romantic, but I don't know if it was meant to.

"Promise me you'll take care of yourself first?"

I nodded and he put his mask back on.

"Maybe I can make you your own mask. Purple, maybe."

I smiled and my face cracked. The half-smile scar ripped open again, and I did nothing to fix it.

"I'd like that. But no black goo, lipstick instead."

It was his turn to smile. Even though I couldn't see his face, his mask shifted. It made me happy to know I had a friend.

"I'm going to have to leave everybody, aren't I?"

"Yes," he admitted, "and I'm sorry for that."

"Jeff is here. Would you like me to put you under, so he doesn't suspect?" Slendy asked.

"Yes, I wouldn't want him mad," I sighed.

His tentacles shot out, carefully laying on my forehead.

Jeff's POV

I opened the door in time to see Slender's tentacles disappear.

"What were you doing?" I demanded.

Slendy turned sympathetically, his head down.

"I was just seeing if she was alright," he insisted.

"And? Is she?"

He nodded and turned back to her. Her scar had broken open, and I quickly cleaned it.

"Either someone cut a poor unconscious girl's face open, or she was awake."

Jack shifted uncomfortably, giving me the answer. I pushed him against the wall, choking him. He stood still, though I couldn't see his face to know if he was in pain. I ripped his mask off and found hollow sockets, oozing black goo like his mask. His face was twisted into a scowl.

"Why was she awake without me, Eyeless? What on earth could you two have to talk about?"

"Just saying... hi," he choked out.

I let him go, and he caught himself. He rubbed his neck, spitting near my feet.

"Jeff, would you like me to wake her now?" Slendy asked.

"Yes. I want to see my love."

His tentacles appeared once more, and landed on Mandy's forehead. It seemed like she struggled to open her eyes, but it was more like she was struggling to stay asleep. Slendy added another tentacle, and she finally opened her eyes.

She looked first at the other two, before finally looking at me. She was even more beautiful than I imagined. Her skin was pale, her eyes black around the edges. The half scar made it look like she was smirking, and I decided I wouldn't cut the other side. Her lips were blood red, and her hair was much shorter. She looked like me.

"Hi Mandy."

"Jeff."

I kissed her softly, and she responded. Her lips felt chapped and raw, but I knew mine did too.

"I've missed you, love."

"I know."

The air was thick, and I saw Slendy shift toward the door.

"Are you ready to come home?"

She nodded, avoiding my eyes. Jack reached her side before I could, helping her up. I watched as he helped her over to the dresser to get her clothes, then over to the bathroom.

"She can help herself now, Jack. She's a big girl," I threatened.

"A big girl that was just burned down to the bone," he spat.

"I'm fine," she assured, "I can do it myself."

She closed the door behind her, Jack guarding the door.

"What do you think you're doing," I growled.

"Helping the wounded. Since you can't do it yourself."

"I would, if you didn't have your dirty hands on her all the time," I spat.

"She's my friend, Jeff. I just want to help her," he whispered.

The anger I didn't realize I felt disappeared. I was letting my "feelings" get between my best friend and I.

"I'm sorry, Jack. I know you just wanted to help, but she's mine. Just back off a bit."

He nodded, and Miranda came out of the bathroom. She was dressed in her Harry Potter sweater and skinny jeans. She looked better in it than she ever had before.

"Are we leaving now? Hospitals give me the creeps."