Chapter 4

The fluffy snow crunched beneath my feet, and I was forced to move foreward. There was a knife at my back and I automatically knew it was Jeff. We were in the woods from before, I realized. My breath came out in little puffs, and I turned to see Jeff's breath came out in long fat lines. I tried to even my breathing to match his, and he caught my eyes and smiled. It was a genuine smile, not his evil one from before.

"Where are we going, Jeffrey?"

His smile dropped and he looked ahead again.

"Don't call me that. It's Jeff."

I stared blankly towards the direction he was leading me. He never answered my question, so I didn't ask again. I didn't want to make him any madder. I stopped walking and he dug the knife deeper into my back. It hurt me to stay in that position, but I ignored it.

"I'll only keep going if you put that knife away," I sighed.

"No, you'll keep going because I said so," he growled.

I sighed and started walking again. We walked for what seemed like hours, and he finally put the knife away. I had to sit down, so I slumped against the nearest tree stump.

"Where are we going? Why won't you tell me?"

"It's.. complicated," he grumbled.

"Complicated? I just wanna know where we're going!"

"Nowhere," he stated, emotionless.

"What?"

"This is a dream, Mandy. I don't have anywhere to go. I don't have the answers, you do. So, do you know? Where are we going?"

I just looked at him, dumbstruck. This was a dream? Of course it was, I realized as I looked around. It was only October, there couldn't be snow on the ground yet.

Where are we going, I wondered.

-- -- --

I woke up alone this time, no one threatening to kill me. The house was quiet, and a look at the clock told me it was 5 in the morning. I pushed the covers back and walked down the hall to the bathroom. I looked like I hadn't slept in years, even though i just slept for almost 82 hours. Maybe that was why I had designer bags under my eyes. I chuckled at my own joke and went into the kitchen to make coffee.

As I was filling the pot with water and replacing the filter, I felt someone watching me. I tried to focus on the rose colored paint chipping off the walls, but I knew he was somewhere, and I knew he was watching me. My hands fumbled as I turned on the coffee pot, and I had to steady myself against the counter. I felt hands grip my arms, and I yelled out. I turned to see him standing there, smiling.

"Jumpy today, are we?"

"How the hell do you keep getting in my house? Why don't you watch me from outside like a normal stalker?"

He acted like he was shocked, putting a hand to his chest.

"Me, a stalker? I'd never," he moved closer to me, eyeing my breasts, "but for you, I might make an exception."

I crossed my arms over my chest, which was barely contained in the skimpy tank top that I'd chosen to wear to bed. I also realized I didn't have any pants on. Oh well, at least I had a nice butt.

"So you're a murderer, stalker, and a pervert. Great, just what I needed to add some excitement to my life."

I rolled my eyes and turned back to the coffee pot, tensing. I shouldn't really have my back to him, should I? But what had he said? He was going to draw out my death. Great.

"So what are you even doing here," attempting a false confidence.

"I wanted to say hi, see how your face was doing. I didn't want to hurt you, you know. It was going to be quick, painless. Too bad."

I scoffed and poured myself a cup of coffee. I added my cream and sugar like nothing was wrong. But everything felt wrong. My attacker was standing behind me, inches from grabbing me and ending my life right here and now.

"Coffee?" I offered.

"Sure. I'll take it as black as my soul."

He didn't laugh, so I wasn't sure wether or not it was a joke. I poured him his coffee and looked out the window at the sunrise. The blue sky was turning purple, and I thought Jeff didn't deserve to share such a beautiful sight with me. But when I turned to him, he was watching me.

"Why are you really here? I could turn you in as easily as you sneak in here."

"But you won't, because you owe me a favor."

"A favor? As if! Have you seen what you did to my face?"

"Yes, of course, I was the one who did it. But I also didn't kill you. So you owe me if you want me to keep your family alive."

My jaw dropped and I stared at him. He was serious. He would really kill my mom and deadbeat dad if I didn't help him. I couldn't let him touch my mom.

"What do you want me to do," I sighed.

He smiled his creepy smile, and I wondered if the smile in the dream was real or imagined.

"I need you to deliver something for me. Let's call it a package."

"Ok, so I drop it off at this guys house, right?"

"No, not exactly," he admitted, looking out the window.

The sky was turning pink now, and soon it would turn orange. I watched with him, sipping my coffee. This guy had tried to kill me, yet here I was, drinking coffee and watching the sunrise with him. I was just asking to be killed.

"Are you gonna tell me what I have to do then?" I asked, suddenly annoyed.

"I will when it's time," he answered, voice quiet.

"What? Are you kidding me?"

I heard my moms door close, and Jeff ran to the back door, leaving as quietly as he could.

My mom entered the room and poured herself a cup of coffee.

"Who were you talking to this time," she asked calmly.

"Myself, mom," I lied, "I think I'm going crazy." That part was true.

"Well if you want we can get you a shrink. Could be PTSD. You never know."

She left the room then and I was left to myself the whole day, since I wouldn't be going to school until tomorrow. I just hoped Jeff wouldn't follow me there too.