Chapter One: Father's Promotion

Staring up at the fancy restaurant where she was meeting her father and his family for dinner, Briana Suarez chewed on her lip wondering if it was too late to turn around and leave. 

It had been a surprise when her father had called her and insisted that she come to dinner, Briana knew that his wife hated her and that there was no way her half-siblings would make her feel welcome. 

Standing outside for another moment, Briana took a deep breath before she headed inside knowing that she would only make things worse if she was any later; she felt so out of place and she knew that it would show when she was eating with her father's family. 

Briana's brown eyes swept the restaurant until they landed on the family, she swallowed at the sight of them and wondered if it was too late to change out of the brown pleated lace dress that she was wearing. 

It didn't look right considering how her father's wife and her half-sister were dressed, Briana hesitated for a moment before she walked over to the table. 

"Briana, glad that you could join us," Carlos greeted pleased to see his youngest had arrived, he had been worried that she wouldn't make it and he was so happy to see her. 

It had been months since Carlos had seen Briana with his own two eyes, she was so busy at university and he was so proud of her for pushing her studies as much as possible. 

Christina Suarez pursed her lips at the sight of Briana, she was far from pleased that her husband had invited her and she would never understand why he had support her when he could have turned his back on her. 

Christina had never met Briana's mother, she had even celebrated when she had heard that Addison had passed away; it hadn't lasted long when Carlos had moved the teenage Briana into the house. 

Everyone in their social circle had been whispering for months at the sudden arrive of Briana, it hadn't taken any of them long to learn about Carlos's affair.

"Oh look the bastard is here," Bethany mused smirking at her half-sister, she still had no idea why her father was so interested in the bastard that he had fathered; she had always hoped that he would get bored of the charity case. 

Briana flinched at Bethany's greeting, she had expected no less from her especially since she had made Briana's life hell after her mother had died; Bethany had made sure that Briana didn't feel welcome in their father's home. 

"Beth," Carlos warned sitting Briana down in the free seat, she was unfortunately caught between Alexander who would ignore her presence and Bethany who would torment her all evening. 

It wasn't ideal but he doubted that his wife would make things better, she allowed their children to treat Briana like dirt and Carlos knew that she would never forgive him for taking in the evidence of his affair. 

Bethany smiled innocently at her father, it wasn't the first time he had told her off for her behaviour but she couldn't care less. 

Briana was the reason that her parents had nearly gotten divorced, Bethany hated the woman and barely saw her half-sister as a sibling; she rather liked making her do things and bossing her about. 

The table was silent for a moment, they all knew the meal was going to be a nightmare and whatever Carlos wanted to tell them then it had been be important. 

Briana looked down at her hands, she couldn't wait for this to be over and she knew that Carlos would understand if she decided to leave early; he knew that no one at this table wanted her around nor did they want him in her life.

***

"So daddy what is the news?" Bethany asked sipping on her drink, dinner had dragged on and she was tired of the bastard being sat beside of her; it was bad enough that they shared a home. 

It had been fun for a while but Bethany could see that Christina was starting to get annoyed with Carlos trying to force them to be nice with his bastard; she honestly didn't know what her father expected. 

"I got a promotion," Carlos revealed with a smile, he hadn't been expecting it and he had worked hard to get where he was; he just hoped that his family would be pleased for him. 

It wasn't going to be easy, he had yet to tell them all the news and Carlos hoped that they wouldn't mind; he peeked at Briana knowing that this was be a massive change for her. 

"I am now Earth's Ambassador to the planet Aulea," Carlos revealed knowing that it had been a wonderful assignment, the planet had only been in contact with earth for thirty years and the old ambassador had been very unprepared for his role. 

Briana was completely silent as she watched her father, she could see how happy he was and she knew that this had been what he had been waiting for; she wondered if this meant that he would be moving there. 

Christina was the first to congratulate her husband, she wrapped her arms around him and kissed him; she was so happy and she knew this opened so many more doors for them. 

There was no doubt that her friends would be jealous of this news, Christina had been hoping this would happen before they got much older. 

Alexander and Bethany were next, they made such a big fuss over Carlos and they made sure that Briana wasn't a part of it; they were thrilled and knew this meant more money for them to spend. 

Thanking his wife and children, Carlos peeked at Briana and knew that she would congratulate him in her own way; she had never been comfortable enough to do so in front of the others and he didn't blame her.

"This means we will have to move there," Carlos told his family, it wasn't going to be easy and they had time before they had to move to the planet; he just wanted them all to be prepared. 

Briana felt her stomach drop, she doubted that Christina would want her to come and she knew this meant she would have to find somewhere to live; her job barely paid her enough and she was still studying. 

Carlos had always made sure that she didn't go without but Briana doubted he even realised that things would change; she doubted she would even see him again once he moved, Christina would make sure of that. 

"Oh poor bastard... what will you do now?" Bethany cooed smugly, she knew what this meant for the entire family and they would finally be rid of the bastard that hung around like a bad smell. 

It was everything that Bethany had ever dreamed of and she knew that there was nothing that she could do; the bastard would have to stay on earth and fend for herself for once. 

Christina didn't say a word, she stared at Briana and she hoped that this would be an end to all of this; it was one thing for her friends to know her husband had a bastard, it would ruin them if anyone else was to find out. 

"She'll be coming with us," Carlos replied staring right at his daughter, he was tired of her bullying and he wished that she would stop it; she had no idea what she was doing by constantly pushing Briana like this. 

The table was completely silent, everyone knew that what Carlos had said would only lead to one thing; they braced themselves knowing what was coming. 

Christina turned to stare at her husband, she couldn't believe what she heard and there was no way in hell that was going to happen.