Chapter Eleven: Public Appearance

Getting out of the car, Briana smoothed out her red waterfall front jersey dress hoping that she looked alright; she felt so out of place and she knew that this was her first public appearance since the ball. 

It didn't help that she had to arrive separately from Lionel and she was sort of grateful for her body guard; he was huge and she doubted anyone would attempt anything with him around. 

"Thank you Gerard," Briana murmured smiling at little at the guard, she had been a little surprised when Lionel had dropped this on her that morning but she guessed he just wanted her to be safe. 

It was her first public appearance and Briana was hopeful that it would go well, she couldn't wait to be with people that she knew; it was slightly unnerving and Briana hoped that things would be okay. 

Slowly walking towards the entrance, Briana couldn't help but be amazed by the building that she was about to enter; she had never seen anything like it in her life. 

The inside was just as beautiful and Briana couldn't imagine how much work had gone into building a place like this; she had no idea what she was going to do and she hoped that she didn't mess up. 

It wasn't hard for Briana to spot Carlos and Christina, the sight of them almost had her turning around and trying to leave; she didn't think she would be able to handle them alone. 

However, a hand taking hers made Briana look around, she blinked surprised to see Lionel and she was suddenly relieved that he had appeared when he had. 

"You look beautiful," Lionel reassured her, he was glad that she had turned up especially with everyone watching them; she felt self-conscious about was going on. 

Lionel laced their fingers, he gently led Briana over to their seats wanting to put some distance between them and Carlos; he wasn't going to let Carlos get too close to them. 

The couple moved quietly to their seats as everyone else took theirs, it was going to be a good service and Lionel wanted nothing more than to have a good day with Briana.

***

"What did you think?" Lionel asked still holding Briana's hand, he hadn't wanted to let go and he had enjoyed listening to the service; he helped Briana to her feet as everyone started to leave. 

It was crazy to think how much things had changed since he had first met Briana and he was glad that she was here with him now, he had been worried that she would stay home avoiding coming here. 

"It was beautiful," Briana told him, it was so different from what she was used to and it reminded her a little of going to church back home and she guessed all religions shared something similar. 

Lionel smiled at her, he was glad that she had enjoyed herself and he just hoped that things weren't going to get complicated quickly for them in anyway. 

The two of them moved quietly, they both knew that it was going to be a little strange; they weren't used to being out in public and it was going to take some getting used to. 

"Briana," called a voice making Briana stiffen, she had hoped to avoid speaking with them and she didn't want to know why they were trying to act so friendly with her now. 

Carlos smiled approaching his youngest daughter, he eyed the hold that Lionel had on her and he knew that it had to be going well for the prince to bring her to such an important event. 

It seemed to be going so well for them and Carlos hoped that speaking with Briana would open doors to him, he could only imagine what the royal wedding would be like. 

Lionel glared at the man before him, there was no way in hell that he was going to let him use Briana for his own gain; he couldn't believe that they had approached them.

"It's wonderful to see you," Carlos greeted linking Christina's arm, he had been pleased to see Briana had come to the ceremony; he had been hoping to see her soon, he wanted to make sure she did find matches for her siblings. 

It was what was expected of her and Carlos wanted to make sure that his family stayed in the focus of the royal family; he would do anything to secure his position of power. 

Christina could only stare at Briana in hatred, she couldn't believe that Lionel had chosen the bastard over someone like Bethany; she would have been a better match for the prince in every way. 

"What do you want?" Briana murmured nervously, she stared at her father knowing that it had been a while since he actually cared about her; he had changed since becoming an ambassador and she didn't like the man he had become. 

Lionel held Briana's hand, he was pleased to see that she wasn't hiding behind him and he guessed Ariana's lessons had boosted her confidence a little so that she could do this. 

"I have been trying to talk to you," Carlos said peeking at Lionel, the prince had clearly been the reason that he hadn't been able to speak with Briana; he was a little surprised at how protective he was of her. 

Briana rolled her eyes, he only took notice of her now when something was going good in her life; she wasn't quite ready for him to ruin it for her. 

It felt strange that things had changed so much for them, Briana couldn't even think that she had been considering of heading back to Earth and leaving all of this behind. 

"How have you been?" Carlos asked attempting to step closer to Briana, he wanted to speak with privately but he doubted that Lionel would let that happen. 

Something had changed about the prince since he had chosen Briana has his mate and Lionel had been so protective of her recently; Carlos wasn't going to give up on his plans.

"I've been good," Briana replied shaking her head, she wanted to leave and she guessed that her father wasn't going to let this go; she found herself leaning on Lionel for support wondering when her life would be simple. 

Carlos nodded his head, he had no idea how he could make her see that she had a bigger part to play; he needed to get her alone to speak with her about what he wanted. 

"It's time for us to go," Lionel interrupted before Carlos could say anything else, he held Briana close wanting nothing more than to make it home without any more interruptions. 

Things had gone well today and Lionel could tell his parents were pleased, they would start pushing for a wedding date and he wasn't sure that Briana was ready for that yet. 

Lionel was doing his best to learn about her world, it wasn't easy but he wanted to find a balance between the two of them; he couldn't imagine it all being one-sided for them. 

"We'll be seeing you soon Briana," Carlos promised already knowing when he would see her soon, he wasn't going to give up and the sooner he spoke with Briana the better things would be. 

There were a lot of royal events coming up and Briana would have to attend them if she was to prove herself worthy of being Lionel's wife; Carlos would use this to his advantage to get his daughter to fallen inline and get what he wanted. 

Briana eyed him for a moment before allowing Lionel to lead her away, she didn't know what she would have done without Lionel by her side. 

It was going to be a strange thing becoming his wife but Briana was finally starting to feel like she would be able to handle that role.