Chapter Thirty-Six: Recovering in Hospital

"Are you sure?" Lionel asked staring at the doctor that stood before him, he was still trying to wrap his head around the fact that someone had tried to poison his pregnant wife.

Things had finally seemed to calm down and this had happened, Lionel wanted whoever had done this to suffer; they had very nearly killed his wife and unborn child and he wanted the person to pay for that.

"I am sure... Her Royal Highness will be just fine," the doctor reassured with a smile, it had been a long night and everyone had heard by now what had occurred in the royal household.

The entire planet had woken to the news that Briana was in hospital and that there had been a large chance that she might have lost her baby during the night.

People had gone to temple and prayed for the princess who had found herself on the wrong end of people since she had married Prince Lionel and no one could believe someone had tried to kill her.

Lionel felt like a weight had been lifted from his shoulders, he was relieved that everything was alright; he had demanded that everyone be searched since he didn't know who to trust.

"And the baby?" Lionel asked knowing that was his next concern, he couldn't imagine how devastated Briana would be if they lost the baby.

They had finally started to consider baby names and she was seventeen weeks pregnant, Lionel had been hopeful that things would work out for them now that they didn't have any real enemies.

"Babies... it seems you and your wife are expecting twins," the doctor revealed knowing that it would be such wonderful news, the Princess and her unborn children would be just fine; her body had been purged of the poison and she just needed to recover now.

Lionel blinked as the news that they were expecting twins sunk in, he couldn't believe this and he was just relieved that they were all going to be alright.

***

"I can't believe that someone would do this," Louisa whispered shocked, she still couldn't believe that someone had tried to poison her sister-in-law; she had never thought that anyone would target a pregnant woman.

Her eyes lingered on her own two children, she would do anything to keep them safe and if the poisoner struck her family then they would have another thing coming.

Rodrigo nodded his head, he had his suspicions about who might have dared poison Briana and he hoped that he was wrong; he took his wife's hand knowing that Briana had been in their prayers that night.

Louisa had woken him as soon as she had heard the horrible news and she had refused to allow the children to eat without special measures in place.

The person behind the attack hadn't been found yet and Louisa was not taking any risks with Catharine and Lucas; she wanted to keep her own children safe after what had happened.

Lionel was quietly sat in his chair wondering why his parents had called such a meeting, he would much rather be at the hospital with Briana than here right now.

Matias was silent while he looked around the meeting room, he wasn't pleased to be called away from the campaign trial when he was slowly starting to move forward.

"I am glad that you could all make it," King Jorge said stepping into the room followed by his wife, he was appalled by how this had played out and he knew that this was going to get even worse.

He had done a lot of thinking in the last few hours and he had come to a decision, King Jorge could only hope that everyone would be prepared for what he was about to do.

Queen Celia sat down next to Lionel, she peeked at her youngest son knowing that this couldn't be easy for him; the meeting would be a quick one and he could go back to the hospital then.

"I am disgusted with how this election has played out," King Jorge stated his eyes sweeping the table and he knew that he could not allow this to continue, he couldn't shake the feeling that someone at this table had poisoned Briana.

The thought alone made Jorge worry, he knew that there was little that could be done and he wasn't going to allow such a move to be made again.

They were lucky right now that Briana hadn't been killed and neither had the child that she was carrying; people wanted to know who was responsible but there was nothing yet.

Florencia pursed her lips while King Jorge talked, she was a little surprised by what had happened and she knew that if anyone ever guessed that she was behind the poisoning then there would be no chance that she would become Queen of Aulea.

"I have decided in light of what happened last night to move forward the election," King Jorge informed the gathering, he had spoken with everyone that he needed to about this and the new date would be announced by the end of the day to the public.

There was no way that he was going to allow his children to ruin everything that he had worked hard for; he had never thought that one of them would attempt to do such a thing.

"There will also be new titles for those who do not become the new monarch of Aulea," King Jorge continued knowing that he would not punish everyone for what had happened but he knew what he would do.

It had been a long decision and the new titles were all picked out ready to be received by their new owners when the new monarch was revealed.

***

"Are you sure that no one knows that it, was you?" Matias checked glaring at his wife, he couldn't believe that she had been so stupid and he knew that they could lose everything if the truth was to be discovered.

This was the last thing that he had expected his wife to do and Matias couldn't believe that she had done it; they were lucky right now that Briana hadn't ended up dead.

The brunette had somehow survived the poisoning that should have killed her, not only was she alive but the life of her unborn child hadn't been affected either.

The doctors would keep her in hospital to keep an eye on her and to make sure that everything was truly alright before they allowed her to return home from the hospital.

"Positive... I paid the chef off pretty well," Florencia said insulted that her husband thought that she would mess this up, she knew what was at stake and the people of Aulea were out for blood after what had happened.

They wanted answers about who might have tried to kill Briana and they were already beginning to suspect that someone in the royal family was behind the attack.

Matias shook his head, that meant little if the man decided that he wanted to keep his life and confessed that he had been given the poison by Florencia.

There was no way that this could end well for them and Matias wasn't going to lose his royal rights for his wife; he would do what he had to, to ensure that he and the children were safe.

This was no how Matias had imagined that Florencia had promised to deal with this; he wasn't sure what she would have done but poisoning Briana had been over the top.

Florencia watched her husband walk away, she knew that she had to keep her secret quiet and there was only one person that knew that she had ordered the poisoning... the chef.