Chapter Nine: Strange New Life

Lionel wrinkled his nose as he peeked around the room that Briana had called home, it was something more suited to staff than a person that was going to be a princess; he was glad that he had convinced her to move in with him. 

It had been a few days since Briana had accepted his proposal and Lionel knew his parents were dying to throw them an engagement party; he had just about convinced them to wait a month before they made any plans. 

Things were still very new for them and Lionel was trying to keep things calm for Briana, she wasn't from Aulea and he was determined to learn more about courting traditions from Earth. 

"I think that's everything," Briana breathed peeking at the four boxes that she had repacked and the suitcase full of her clothes; it wasn't much but she knew that it was all she had to her name.

It embarrassed her a little especially since she was sure that Lionel would be expecting something more; Briana couldn't even imagine where he lived. 

However, Lionel didn't say a word, he just smiled and nodded his head; he could see how self-conscious Briana felt about him being in her home and he didn't blame her. 

"Briana there you are," Carlos announced stepping into the room, he had just heard that the prince was here with her and he was doing everything to make himself seem important in her life. 

Things might not have worked out as Carlos had expected but still one of his daughters were marrying into royalty and it would look so wonderful for his name and reputation. 

"Prince Lionel. I didn't know you were going to be here," Carlos greeted pretending not to have known that the prince was there, he stepped forward to greet the royal; he was sure the wedding would be fabulous and he couldn't wait to tell everyone that his daughter was a princess. 

The house had been odd since it had become clear that Briana was Lionel's mate but Carlos was determined to use the link to get some good connections.

"I'm just helping Briana move," Lionel murmured eyeing the man, he knew why Carlos had come here and it wasn't to see Briana; he still didn't know much about her relationship with the man but it clearly wasn't a good one. 

It made Lionel all the more eager to get Briana away from the man and his family, she was clearly a little afraid of Christina and there was no way that Lionel could let that remained. 

"I was just checking in since I hadn't see her in a few days," Carlos stated looking to Briana, she hadn't been home in days and he had been meaning to talk to her in private about what was expected of her now. 

It was his hope that Briana would be able to arrange marriages for Bethany and Alexander; Carlos couldn't imagine what was going to happen but he knew that Briana was the key to getting what he wanted. 

"I am surprised you care so much about what your assistant is doing," Lionel mused signalling for his men to get Briana's things so that they could leave, he hadn't forgotten that was how Carlos had introduced his youngest daughter to him. 

Carlos only laughed off his words, he guessed the secret was out now and he hoped that Lionel would understand why he had done it; he didn't want his reputation to be dirtied by having a bastard. 

"We better be going," Lionel said taking Briana's hand, she seemed so down with Carlos here and he didn't like it; he wanted her to feel like she could be herself with him. 

Carlos was unable to say another word before Lionel led Briana out of the room, he wasn't going to give up until he had talked to her alone.

***

"I can't believe this is where you live," Briana whispered following Lionel into the apartment that he called her home, it wasn't like the places that royals lived in back on earth and Briana felt a little more relaxed about it. 

The palace looked more like a large skyscraper than a palace and Briana couldn't imagine what the other apartments looked like; each floor housed a member of Lionel's family comfortably with his parents leaving on the top floor. 

The living arrangements of each family matched their status in the line of succession, Lionel's apartment was fourth from the top and gave off a beautiful view of the capital city. 

Lionel chuckled lacing their fingers, he was glad that he didn't have to have the large apartment to himself anymore; he was excited about having Briana here with him now. 

Showing Briana around their home, Lionel kept her close at all times wanting to enjoy the fact that he had her to himself; he doubted it would last long and he just hoped that it would be okay. 

"My madre has arranged some classes for you," Lionel murmured looking at Briana, he didn't think that she needed them but it was just to teach her some things about Aulea and what was expected of her now. 

It was clearly going to be a bit of a culture shock for Briana, she had been brought up differently than Lionel and they just wanted to make sure she was prepared. 

"Classes?" Briana squeaked a little nervous, she wasn't sure what to expect and she knew that they would want her to act a certain way. 

It was clear that being in a relationship with Lionel was going to change things, Briana felt nervous about what might be expected of her; things were different here and she just wasn't sure what was going to happen. 

"It's nothing serious. Just things you need to be aware of," Lionel reassured, he wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head smiling to himself when she started to relax; he was worried that things would stress her out.

Lionel's parents were hoping to set a date in the coming year for the wedding, it would be a wonderful way to celebrate and they were already planning out royal duties that would be passed to the couple. 

"It's okay to be nervous," Lionel murmured brushing his fingers calmly through her hair, he didn't blame Briana for feeling so out of place and he hoped that things would get better for her. 

Already Ariana was seeking to take Briana under her wing, Lionel was almost thankful that his cousin was watching out for his mate and he just hoped that they would be able to be good friends. 

It was clear that Briana was going to need one, Lionel had noticed quite quickly how alone his mate seemed and he didn't want her to feel that she didn't have someone that she could talk to. 

"I'll do anything to make this easy for you," Lionel reassured pulling back to look at Briana, she had been quiet and he knew that it must all be a big change for her; he was sure that it would get better in time. 

Taking a deep breath, Briana nodded her head and closed her eyes knowing that Lionel had promised that they would do this at her pace; she was still trying to wrap her head around the fact that this was happening. 

"I know," Briana mumbled offering Lionel a small smile, she couldn't believe that he had picked her and the weight of the engagement bracelet felt heavy on her wrist. 

There had been moments in the last few days where Briana couldn't help but wonder if she was going to ruin things for Lionel and if he would come to hate having a mate like her. 

"I'll show you to your room," Lionel mumbled sensing that Briana had doubts, he hoped that when Ariana came tomorrow that it would do better to ease her mind.