Chapter Thirteen: Lunch with the Queen

Smoothing out the pink dress with square neck that she was wearing, Briana stared at the doors knowing that she was going to have to go inside and meet with the Queen; she still couldn't believe that she was actually about to have lunch with her. 

Lionel had reassured her that it was just a normal lunch, his mother wished to get to know her before the wedding day and he was sure that she would be more than helpful when it came to arranging their big day. 

Taking a deep breath, Briana nodded to the doorman before he opened the door and revealed the room where she would be meeting with the Queen and Princess; she was worried that she would be disliked by them both because of her parentage. 

"Presenting Lady Briana of Earth," the doorman said making Briana stop and look at him, she was a little surprised by the announcement since she wasn't really anyone yet they were announcing her as a lady. 

Queen Celia smiled watching the brunette, she was pleased that Briana had agreed to lunch and she was hopeful that it would give her the right insight to the woman that would marry her son. 

It had come as a surprise when Carlos had announced that Briana was his youngest daughter, Queen Celia hadn't known he had more the two children but she had a feeling that had been deliberately done. 

"I am so pleased you could dine with us today," Queen Celia said getting to her feet, she smoothed off her dress and walked over to Briana pleased to see that Ariana had done well in finding her an outfit for this. 

Lionel had come to her worrying that Briana did not have the right sort of clothing for anything; Ariana had offered to have her personal shopper sort things out until Briana had her own to sort things like this out for her.

***

"So Briana tell me about yourself," Queen Celia insisted sipping on her drink, she had kept things light for a little while and she had no doubts that the fates had been kind when they had blessed Lionel with a woman like Briana. 

Briana was the sort of woman that King Jorge and Queen Celia had always wanted for their youngest son, she wasn't like the woman of the court that threw themselves at Lionel all the time. 

"There's not much to really tell," Briana replied softly, she resisted the urge to tag Your Majesty on to the end after Queen Celia had asked her not to; she felt strange eating with Lionel's mother and sister knowing they were judging her. 

Lionel had warned her that Carlos was going around bragging about how she was his daughter now, it irked Lionel that the man hadn't done so before she had become engaged to him. 

"What of your mother?" Princess Maria Sol asked picking at her sandwich, she eyed her future sister knowing that Lionel was very happy because of her. 

It had been a worry for the family that it had taken him so long to find his mate, Lionel had very nearly agreed to just take a wife for the connections it could offer his family. 

Briana was silent, a lump forming in her throat at the thought of her mother; she missed her so much and wished she could be here with her now when things were getting better. 

"She passed away when I was thirteen," Briana mumbled, she wondered if her mother would have liked Lionel and she knew that she would never know the answer to that. 

Queen Celia stared at Briana guessing that it was an upsetting matter for Briana, her heart went out to the girl knowing that she hadn't been treated well when she had been with Carlos. 

Princess Maria Sol stopped eating and looked at Briana, she didn't know what she would ever do without her mother; she would be so lost without her.

"And Carlos took you in," Queen Celia guessed already having heard of the appalling conditions that Briana had lived in before she had moved in with Lionel; she wouldn't let even her servants live in a place like that. 

There was no denying that things had been manipulated to a point where Briana was expected to be nothing more than a background to her older half-siblings. 

Queen Celia was just pleased that it was Briana that had ended up Lionel's mate and not Bethany, she had seen the younger woman around and she was disgusted with her behaviour. 

It was certainly not the way a royal should act and it was clear that she had only ever been interested in Lionel for his title; she wanted to be a princess for the fame and nothing else. 

Christina had raised a spoilt brat and Queen Celia knew that she would find it difficult to marry the girl off, no sane Aulean would settle for someone like that. 

"It must have been a difficult time for you," Queen Celia mused doubting that Christina would have taken the time to comfort the child that her husband had brought home. 

The woman clearly only saw Briana as a reminder to what Carlos had done and had spent so much time punishing Briana for something that hadn't been her fault that she didn't realise just who was going to suffer more for her actions. 

Briana nodded her head, she would never forget the day that she had gone to stay with her father; she had never felt more unwelcome in her life and it had been worse since she'd never met them before. 

"Lionel tells me you have set a date," Queen Celia mused changing the subject, she had heard enough about Carlos and his family and she wasn't going to let that man think it was okay.

It was time that they talked about the event everyone would be waiting on, already plans were being set in motion and Queen Celia was going to do her best to make sure that Briana wasn't overwhelmed. 

"The 19th of September," Briana murmured with a small smile, she was starting to get a little excited about the idea of getting married; she had been looking at pictures of past royal weddings and she had an idea on what she wanted for her big day. 

Ariana had been helpful with make small plans but Briana had noticed how distracted her friend had seemed recently especially after her doctor's appointment; she was sure that it would be fine in the end. 

"An autumn wedding... how wonderful," Princess Maria Sol said with a smile, she was already planning out what she was going to wear; the wedding would be the royal event of the year. 

The last wedding that the royal family had celebrated was Ariana's when she had married Cristiano; it had been a beautiful day and it had been made even better by Lionel and Cristiano putting their school rivalry behind them. 

"Have you thought about colours?" Queen Celia asked not minding that she would have to help Briana plan out her wedding, the only question she didn't want to ask was who would give her away. 

There was no way that Carlos would have the chance to do so, the ambassador would only use it to try and further things and Queen Celia wouldn't have him using Briana or her son that way. 

"I was thinking red and orange," Briana mumbled feeling a little embarrassed, she liked the idea of having Lionel's favourite colour as a theme; she had so much red in her wardrobe right now thanks to Ariana. 

Queen Celia nodded her head, it was going to be an interesting time organising the wedding of the year.