Chapter Twenty-Three: What Are Friends For

"Lord Agüero to see you Your Highness," a servant announced before he allowed the man into the room, it had been a surprise when Sergio Agüero had arrived seeking an audience with the prince. 

They had been close friends at school and they had lost contact in the last few years after Sergio found his soul-mate, he had been pretty busy with her since then. 

Lionel smiled in greeting to his old friend, it had been such a long time since he had seen Sergio and he couldn't believe that it had taken him this long; he was curious about what had brought his friend here. 

"It's good to see you again Sergio," Lionel greeted getting to his feet, it had been a rough couple of days and Lionel just wished that he had Briana back. 

There had been no more news about what Diego was doing and Lionel feared that he was going to lash out soon which would result in something happening to Briana. 

"I wish I could say the same," Sergio mumbled not sure how his friend was going to react, he had never told Lionel who his mate was and he doubted he would like the news. 

It would upset Lionel to learn that his best friend was married to someone related to the man that had taken his own mate; he had never liked the Maradonas and Sergio doubted that it would ever change. 

Lionel frowned wondering what was going on, he didn't understand why Sergio looked so nervous; there was nothing that could ever change the fact that they were friends. 

"I bring news that will likely change everything," Sergio admitted not sure what to expect, he didn't move to sit down and instead prayed that Lionel wouldn't lash out.

It was bound to be a problem that Sergio wasn't going to enjoy, he couldn't imagine how Lionel would take to the news that he was married to his mortal enemy when they were holding Briana hostage. 

"I am married to Giannina Maradona," Sergio stated looking at his friend, the entire room seemed to go cold as he revealed who he was married to; he barely had time to react before Lionel slammed him into a wall. 

He swallowed at the murderous look on Lionel's face but Sergio didn't blame him for snapping, he would have done the same if someone had taken Giannina from him. 

"Give me one good reason that I shouldn't have you executed right this moment," Lionel snarled furious that his friend had married into the family that were trying to take his family's throne. 

He guessed this was why he hadn't seen Sergio in years and he felt furious that he had waited until now to tell him what was going on. 

Lionel gritted his teeth, he felt so angry and he wondered what had brought Sergio here; he had surely known that he would be killed for coming here when he revealed who he was married to. 

"We want to help you Leo... for the sake of our son, we want no part in what Diego is doing," Sergio pleaded softly, he didn't want to die and the only thing on his mind was making sure that his family weren't going to be punished for what Diego had done. 

He was sure that Giannina's father had completely lost his mind when he had abducted Briana and it was likely to led to the deaths of everyone in the family for this. 

"What do you want?" Lionel asked stepping back from Sergio, he didn't trust his friend one bit right now but he was the only way that he was getting Briana back. 

They had no idea where Diego was holding her but he guessed that Sergio had an idea, otherwise he wouldn't be trying to bargain with him right now. 

Looking nervously at Lionel, Sergio just hoped that his plan would work otherwise his small family were going to suffer.

***

The door to the room where Briana was being held burst open and made her jump, she stared at Giannina who moved quickly to untie her from the chair; it had been a horrible couple of days but they had to move quickly. 

"What is going on?" Briana whispered peeking towards the door, the last thing that she wanted was for Giannina to get into more trouble for helping her. 

The other woman's face was badly bruised from the beating that she had taken from her father the day before; she had only brought Briana some water and Diego had gone crazy. 

"I am getting you out of here," Giannina replied while quickly working on the knots that held her to the chair, they didn't have a lot of time and she prayed that whatever her husband planned had worked. 

They had carefully planned out how they were going to get Briana home to her family when they had discovered what Diego had planned. 

However, they had brought forward their plan after Diego had attacked Giannina and had taken Benjamin from his parents; he claimed that he was going to raise the boy to be his one true heir. 

"My padre plans to kill you before rescue forces arrive," Giannina muttered wondering what was going on in his head, there was no way anyone would make it out of this alive if he killed Briana.

It was starting to dawn on Giannina that Diego had officially lost the plot, he was a danger to everyone that needed to be stopped before it was too late. 

Once Briana was free from the chair, the two of them moved to leave the room when there was a crashing sound from down the hallway; they both paused before realising that this was far from good. 

Taking a deep breath, Giannina grabbed Briana's hand and dragged her in the other direction; it was clear that the rescue forcers had finally arrived.

Neither of them breathed a word as they hurried down the corridor, they didn't wish to attract any attention to themselves knowing that if they were caught by the wrong people then they'd both be dead. 

Rounding another corner, Giannina came to a stop and stared at the man that stood ahead of her; she swallowed with tears in her eyes at the red eyes that stared right back at her. 

"Padre," Giannina whispered taking a step back from him, her eyes flickering to the gun that he was holding wondering what he would do; she feared for her life and that of Briana's. 

She had assumed that he would be fighting against the rescue forces with his men, instead of hanging around drugged out of his mind in one of the back-corridors. 

Diego didn't breathe a word as he stepped towards the two women, he should have known his daughter would be stupid enough to ruin this for him. 

His gun stayed pointed at the two of them as Giannina and Briana slowly backed away from him, there was no way they'd be able to get away without one of them being shot. 

"Don't do this," Giannina pleaded tears starting to trail down her face, her hands shook praying that her son was safe; she couldn't imagine what she would do if something happened to him. 

Briana stared at Diego, the man wasn't himself and she wondered how anyone had thought he would make a better King that Jorge; she couldn't see Aulea doing very well under a man like this. 

The sound of the gun firing made Briana jump, she watched horrified as Giannina crumbled to the ground clutching her stomach and she hoped that someone would find them quickly. 

"Long live the King," Diego shouted before firing another shot a smile on his face as he realised that while he might have lost the war he was taking Lionel's princess with him. 

Briana gasped in shock as she looked down at the blood slowly appearing through her shirt.