Chapter Twenty-Two: The Maradona Revenge

"What do you mean she's missing?" Lionel snarled furiously, he couldn't believe what he was hearing and his heart pounded in his chest wondering who could have possibly taken his Briana. 

This certainly hadn't been what he had been expecting to hear after her final dress fitting, Lionel took a deep breath seeing the look that his father shot him; he hated that he was expected to just sit here and wait for news. 

"It was an organised attack and we found this at the scene," Gerard murmured handing the flag that he was holding, he shifted nervously knowing that this wasn't going to go well. 

None of them would like what he had found and Gerard feared what it would mean for them; he felt like he had let Prince Lionel down by not being able to protect Briana. 

He had known Lionel for years and had been his body guard before moving to be Briana's, Gerard had never thought that he would let his friend down so badly like this. 

King Jorge slowly unwrapped the flag that he had been handed, he stared at it horrified as he dropped it onto the table in front of him so that everyone could see the flag. 

"That's not possible... there is no way they could have returned," Queen Celia whispered horrified at the sight of the flag that lay before them, she couldn't believe that this had come back to haunt them after everything that had happened. 

Lionel looked to his parents, he was too young to remember the last rebellion from the Maradonas; they had been the family to rule Aulea before his family had defeated them and taken the throne. 

The Maradonas had been trying to gain back the throne for over three hundred years after they had lost it to one of Lionel's ancestors and their descendants still wouldn't give up.

"I want every member of that family found and executed innocent or otherwise," King Jorge ordered knowing that if he didn't act quickly then the Maradonas would not only murder his son's young mate but would attack the family. 

The last thing that King Jorge wanted was to see any of his family murdered and he couldn't help but wonder what had made them think abducting Briana was a good idea. 

It was so close to her wedding day and while it would draw attention to them, it could very well lead to the people turning fully against them; even their supporters wouldn't stand for this. 

Briana was an innocent who had nothing to do with the wars that had been fought for hundreds of years between the two families; she was just set to marry into one and soon. 

"We'll get her back," Queen Celia whispered turning to look at Lionel, she wished that there was something that she could do but they would just have to pray that Briana was brought home safely. 

Lionel ran his fingers through his hair, he had heard whispers for a while that Diego Maradona had been attracting support recently but he never thought this would happen. 

Getting to his feet, Lionel walked out of the room not looking back at his family since he knew that there was nothing to be done now but wait; something that would only drive Lionel mad as he waited for news. 

If it was the last thing that Lionel did, he would get Briana back safely and he didn't care what the cost was; the Maradonas couldn't be allowed to continue and them taking Briana was an act of war something that he wouldn't allow. 

Aulea didn't need another war breaking out and Lionel could only hope that it wouldn't result in one if he did what he was about to do. 

He didn't look back already knowing that Gerard and Cesc Fàbregas were following him, Lionel was determined to get Briana back and he could only hope that she was safe.

***

"I can't believe they took her," Ariana whispered sitting down next to Cristiano, she cuddled into his side looking over her children while they played; she was terrified that she could have also been abducted. 

They had attacked just after Ariana and Maria Sol had left and if they had attacked sooner then there was a chance that Aulea would be in even bigger trouble with three women from the royal family gone. 

Cristiano wrapped his arms around his wife, he kissed the top of her head knowing how shocking this must be and he wished that he knew what he could do to help. 

"She'll be okay. Diego isn't stupid enough to execute her," Cristiano whispered remembering briefly the last war that the Messis had fought against the Maradonas; his own father had been killed in that war and it had been a hard time for his family. 

Ariana nodded her head, Diego's best chance of getting out of this alive with his children would be to return Briana before the royal family declared war on them. 

Already King Jorge had ordered the execution of every Maradona that was found or caught, he wanted the family to know that their latest attempt to take back the throne would have a high cost. 

"I just hope Leo doesn't do something stupid," Ariana said looking to her husband, she hated to think what her dear cousin would do to get Briana back and she was so sort of relieved that he had been locked up in his apartment after he had left his parents presence. 

It had been a hasty decision but the moment that Lionel had left his parents, they had all known that he would do anything to get Briana back whatever the cost was.

***

Struggling against the ropes that tied her to the uncomfortable chair, Briana cursed sharply wondering what the hell was going on; her head was pounding from whatever she had been drugged with. 

Since waking up Briana hadn't heard or seen anyone while she had been trapped in this room, she didn't know what was going on but she had a feeling that she was going to be here for a while. 

The sound of the door opening made Briana look up, she stopped her struggles knowing that she had no idea what she was dealing with right now and that was enough to calm her down. 

The last thing that she wanted was to get herself into even more trouble, Briana had no idea why she was here or why she had even been kidnapped when she'd done nothing wrong. 

Briana eyed the woman that warily stepped into the room, she looked frightened and she got the feeling that she didn't want to be here anymore than she did. 

Hurrying forward the woman did her best to make sure that Briana hadn't been too badly hurt by the men that had brought her here; she hated that Diego had done this without fearing the consequences for his actions. 

The word had already spread that the King had ordered the execution of every member of the Maradona family, a fact that scared the woman more than anything; she wanted to ensure that her son wouldn't suffer for his grandfather's complete and utter idiotic actions. 

"I am here to help," Giannina Maradona whispered making sure that Briana was the only one that could hear her, she didn't want her father to discover that she planned to betray him. 

The moment that Diego had revealed his plans to his children was the moment that Giannina and her husband turned their backs on him; they didn't want to die for him or anyone else. 

Briana looked at Giannina, she didn't know what was going on but she had a feeling that she wouldn't be stuck in this room for very long and she had someone on her side here.