Plus Sized Pretty (Chapter 5, Part 1)

(James POV)

I tried to walk inside as quietly as possible when I got home. I unlocked the front door and stepped into the kitchen; my mother was sitting at the table with a cup of tea.

I sighed and closed the door.

"James D. Collier where have you been at this time of night?" She asked in a surprisingly calm voice.

"Ehr, well..I," I stammered as I pulled out a chair and sat down.

The whole time she watched me; I could feel her watching my every move.

"Go on sweetheart. We've got all night," She said placing her elbows on the table.

"Well. I just needed to get some air. I needed to think, just get away. You know?" I said, hoping she would let this go.

"Mhm. And what, or whom, exactly did you need to think about?" She replied. I saw the corner of her mouth twitch so I knew I wasn't that in too much trouble.

"I went to see Jinx," I said honestly, picking at my faded leather bracelet so I wouldn't have to make eye contact.

My mother made a 'hmmp' sound and looked at the clock across the room. "You went to see this girl at 10 o clock at night? What did her parents think about that?"

I looked up immediately to defiant myself. "Well her parents weren't there. They went out to dinner or something." 

Before my mother could get in another word my cell phone rang. I pulled it out of my pocket and saw Jinx's caller ID.

"It's her. I have to take this. Can we..do this later?" I asked pleadingly as my ringer went off for the third time.

She nodded and waved me off dismissively.

"Thank you!" I said relieved as I answered and ran to my room. 

"Miss me already?" I said playfully as I shut the door to my room and laied back on my bed.

"James! My dad..He.." Jinx cried into the phone.

She was crying. Hard. 

"What the hell.." I thought.

"Jinxy relax. Take a deep breath and tell me what's going on." I said, sitting up and furrowing my brows.

I heard her take a couple deep breathes and blow her nose. 

I picked at my jeans anxiously.

"Jinx? Are you okay?" I asked in a soothing tone despite my worry.

"Yes. No. I don't know!" She wailed again.

"Just..Just relax. Tell me what's going on. You said something about your dad. Did he hurt you?" The thought of anyone hurting her made me furious but I stayed calm for her sake.

"No. He..I saw him. He was making out with some red headed tramp!" She yelled into the phone. 

Her voice cracked at the end. 

Oh my god. What an asshole.

"It's okay Jinxy. Do you need me to come over?  Does your brother know? Where is your mom?" I started asking questions, thoughts and ideas rushing through my head.