Chapter Twenty

Arashi's POV

I was in Tsunade's office. She was assigning me a new mission. She said, "Arashi, you've been a Jonin for a couple of weeks now and I have a mission that I need you to do, but you aren't going to like it."

"What is it?" I asked.

"I've received word that the Atasuki are looking for you. I want you to go with them."

"What?!?" I yelled.

"Calm down and listen. I need you to go with them. Learn about them, their strengths and weaknesses. Gain their trust and do everything you can to get close to them. Then after you have all the information you can gather, I want you to come back. You'll give a full report on what you learned and then you go back to your normal life." She explained.

"Do I have a choice?" I asked.

"No, I'm assigning you this mission." She said firmly. "You can only tell a few people about the mission and that's stretching it. You can tell Kiba, Kakashi, and Sasuke. You have to distance yourself from everyone, including Kakashi and Sasuke."

"I can't distance myself from Kiba, even if he knows why it would kill both of us." I told her.

"Did I say Kiba?" She asked, smiling slightly.

"Tsunade, I don't think I can do this." I told her seriously.

"Arashi, you have no choice. You are being assigned this mission and if you refuse it I will take away your head band. You have no idea how much this mission means to the village. This mission, if taken seriously and treated with care, could give us information that is our only chance of ever defeating the Atasuki." She told me.

"This means that I'll have to act like one of them, like take their missions and complete them. I might have to kill people under their orders. I might even have to return to the village to get someone here. Tsunade i couldn't do that if my life depended on it-"

She interrupted me, "It's not only your life that would depend on it, everyone that live in the village lives depends on this. Arashi, the Atasuki are already looking for you and only you. If there were anyone else I could send on this mission I would, but you're the only one who could ever hope to complete this."

"But-"

"Arashi Hatake.You will be assigned this mission, and you will complete it." Tsunade said securely.

"Just, just give me an hour, just to think." I said. I turned towards the open window behind her desk and ran towards it. I dove out it quickly, letting myself free fall. When I was just a little ways away from the ground, I used the Harashin-No-Jutsu to appear in my room. I laid down on my bed and just thought.

I'll be leaving everything behind that I ever cared about. I'll be leaving everyone I love behind. I'll be leaving my best friends behind. I'll be leaving my home behind. Everything that ever mattered to me, everything that I ever cared about, I will have to pretend means nothing. I have to be cold to everyone of my friends. I have to act like they mean nothing to me.

I can't be seen talking to anyone besides Kiba in public. I can't go out with my friends. I can't train with Dad or Asuma or Anko or Ibiki or anyone. I'll have to act depressed, I'll have to distance myself from everyone. I-I can't back out. She wont let me.....

And with that I poofed off to the Hokage mountains. I laid down on top of The Third Hokages head and cried. I just cried for everything that was about to happen, everything I would have to do, and the people I would have to say goodbye to. I sobbed deeply, feeling like every sob would break me. There was a poof around me and Azul and Saber both appeared. Azul wrapped herself around my curled up body, while Saber laid in front on me, nuzzling me affectionately.