Chapter 12

The ear-wrenching sound emitting from the intercom continued to buzz, perhaps the third or fourth time since the first initial touch of the button. My eyes were closed and my fingers were fixed at the nape of Ali's neck. Her body was still stiff and tense, refusing to relax in my arms. Our pursed lips slowly parted from one another and I barely acknowledged the chill breeze nipping at my skin. Alice brushed her fingers against the side of my face, heat radiating off of her palm. Her olive cheeks became rubicund, a roseate hue dispersed on them. I subtly leaned back, creating a space between us to get a better glimpse at her exquisite features. I skimmed my thumb over her delicate jawline, rubbing the flesh that had been irritated by the stubble sprinkled my chin. Her orbs were half-lidded; I was unable to see her gorgeous cocoa-colored eyes and it slightly irked me. The sunlight that leaked in from the windows complemented attributes which always gave me such aesthetic pleasure: her defined cupid's bow, her delineate brows, and the cutest nose I've ever seen. Still in a faint trance, I saw her nod; resting her forehead on mine with a crooked grin swept across her mouth. The silence between us seem to drag on as the piercing noise of the buzzer still ringing consistently in our ear drums. Alice parted her lips, I listened as an almost inaudible whisper emanated from them.

- You should probably go change your outfit - She breathed, her hands on my chest pushing me away from her. I glanced down at her with a smile, trying to reassure her from her thoughts. I could tell by the constant shifting of her weight that she was nervous from the idea of my family visiting. She lowered her head and stared down at her legs. I couldn't help but let out a snicker. I took gentle steps towards her planted a compassionate kiss on the top of her crimped chestnut hair, making her release a giggle. I beamed and stretched to the left to press my thumb against the button which allowed my parents inside.

In front of me, Ali's teeth gnashed together in anxiety. I wish I could do something for her... to calm her down; but, it wasn't very smart of me to greet my parents wearing the same outfit from last night. I craned my forefinger up, asking Alice for a moment in order to change before they came to our door.

- I'll be right back – I guaranteed, taking hesitant backwards steps toward the bedroom still not taking my stare away from Alice. She almost instantaneously widened her eyes and stomped her feet against the ground, alternating her look from the door and myself in desperation.

- You better hurry up! - she harshly whispered. I chuckled, spinning around and running to the room to put the appropriate clothes for the occasion on.

As I was dressing, I could hear the distant trudging of my father's boots and the clacks from my mother's heels, followed by some incoherent mumbling, proving that the door was opened. Near there, anxious feet were pushed against the floor, and a quiet praise was followed by a circle run inside the apartment. Alice. I laughed at her reaction, trying my best not to distract myself to the point of taking too long to put the fabrics on my body. Hurriedly, I adjusted my shorts and the shirt on my torso, turning my attention to the voices that now appeared in my room.

While I was walking to my wife, it was possible to see emerging through the door the familiar faces we were expecting. Coming in the front, Esther rushed herself, bearing a tray filled with a dessert that had the appearance of some type of mousse, perhaps passion fruit. Her face was full of life and lit up once her eyes met my wife and I, waiting with excitement - and maybe a little bit of tension - by their arrival. Holding the confection cautiously, my sister raised her shoulders as to balance the weight of the board close to her body, thus preventing any major disaster. She seemed to be very comfortable and free to break into the house, heading toward the counter with no need to inspect carefully the way, pausing the orientations to my begetters to greet us with a...