Chapter 3

AVI's P.O.V

  I woke up with the light leaking from the window and filling the whole room. The night before, I have slept on the couch, leaving the bedroom for Alice. It was strange: I had never slept there before. Despite that, I was not bothered, but willing to do everything possible for my wife to feel comfortable again in our house.

  I heard the sound of the shower coming from the bathroom and stretched out, enjoying the last few minutes of lying down. When the noise ended, I did a few streches and went off to the bedroom in to get ready for the day, leaving my clothes - now huddled on the floor - in the right place in order to get back to make something for breakfast. Reluctantly, I got up from the couch, playing with the messy wires of my unruly hair and taking my clothes in hands. It was summer, the nights were hot, and I've decided to sleep naked. This was never a problem in my own home. At least, not until now.

  I walked lazily towards the bedroom and opened the door with no hesitation. I was rubbing my eyes which were still adjusting to the light, and had not noticed the room. When I heard a noise, I released a grunt and, greeted.

- Good morning. How was the night?

- Oh... Good morning. It was actually... OH MY GOD - she yelled. I freaked out with the shrill scream I'd heard and raised my eyes, backing away a few steps, and noticing Alice's desperation, who was now trying to hide behind a blouse and cover her eyes at the same time. She had just gotten out of the shower and was wearing nothing but her underwear, which didn't bother me at all - quite the contrary - and was looking for what to wear when I got in, surprising her.

- What happened? - I said still scared with the scream she let out. Her eyes were wide and nothing but weird noises came out of her mouth.

- My God, you're nude Avi! - She screamed, while hiding behind all possible furniture she found in the room, mixing in her voice, a constrained laugh and dread to see me so fearless in front of her.

  I couldn't hide my smile at the situation, and the way Alice acted on it. Maybe, just maybe, I have forgotten that it might be a little too revealing for the wife who doesn't know me. Forced into hiding myself with my hands, I took a step toward her, apologizing and laughing at everything that was happening.

- Forgive me, I didn't think it could...

- OH MY GOD, YOU'RE STILL COMING NEAR ME? NO, NO, GET OUT OF HERE - Ali said between laughs, ran to the closet and locked herself inside. I couldn't hold my laughter, and turned away, going to the bathroom.

  I took the opportunity to take a quick bath before preparing something to eat. When I left the bathroom, the room was empty and the bed had a pair of shorts, shirt, underwear and slippers. I looked at the closet, and the door was still closed, probably with a woman inside. I laughed.

- It's okay, I'm wrapped in towel this time! - I yelled teasing her, but the silence has brought me no answer. Still laughing, I changed and went to the kitchen.

  Although I don't like coffee, Alice has always been a faithful consumer of it. For my disinterest, I was never very good at preparing it, but given the circumstances, I decided to give a shot in the dark and bet all my ignorance in the coffeemaker. I mixed everything in there, it made noise, the black liquid came out, and I decided to settle and believe that it was perfect. I left it aside and made a fresh orange juice, prepared some toasts and sliced some fruits. I was sitting on the counter, drinking the juice and reading the news when Ali came to the kitchen, still hesitant.

  Her light brown curls were piled high on her head, with loose bangs falling down her face - and was now being used to disguise her shame. Alice had a noticeably soft golden skin, and her brown eyes were hidden, staring at the floor. Her smile was beautiful, spotless and innocent, now showing discomfort and shyness. This time she had a loose t-shirt and shorts over her underwear, adorning the curvy body of which I was a fan. It made me happy to see her like that, after spending so much time with a swollen and pale image she carring at the hospital. Ali was the owner of a beauty that blended subtlety and intensity, and had always messed with men. Thank God she chose me. I prayed she would remember that.