Chapter 2

ALICE'S P.O.V

  It all seemed very unreal to me. In my head, a few days ago I was in Sydney with my sister, struggling to afford the last years of college and to sustain my internship at MG Motors. My dream of becoming an engineer had finally become real and I saw in front of me a world of possibilities, an open market to explore and new ideas to develop. I was young, at the peak of my 22 years, well instructed and, despite being from a humble family, nothing was missing. I sent a monthly balance to help my parents in Brazil, the country where I was born and lived for many years and a place which I always missed, but knew wasn't home. The warmth of my family's embrace had to be denied to get what I wanted: independence. Everything now seemed to be a very distant dream, an illusion, a confusing picture that escaped my grasp.

  My name is Alice Kaplan, I am 27 years old and live in the USA. I'm married. Married to a member of Pentatonix - who would imagine, me, a wife of an artist - Avi Kaplan. I work at MG Motors USA and live in an apartment far from downtown LA. Everything looks great. Except that I can't remember anything about it.

  I was in my home now, a place I can't recall, with a husband that I don't recognize, presenting me a life that I don't remember living. Apparently I've traveled to the future, migrated to a distant time, far away from the one I was living "a few weeks ago" and now my mind played tricks on me... I didn't know who to trust. I was alone with a strange man, and had nowhere to escape. The truth is that I knew absolutely nothing about my current situation: friends, places, relatives, anything... I had nothing, no one! Despite I "knew him" recently, Avi seemed trustworthy. His eyes were loaded with feeling and care when met mine, and I thought it was love. Love that left me distressed and upset at not being able to match since I don't know who he is.

  Avi had beautiful, amazing, gorgeous green eyes, surrounded by a clear fair skin and a beard that ran through his jaw to his mouth. His brown hair was wavy, but was constantly hidden beneath grey beanies, which were part of his style. Not too tall - but significantly taller than me – he had a healthy slim body, always covered by jackets or plaid shirts, revealing at most a few inches from his hairy chest, which attracted my eyes; I had to strive to not look for long. I have to admit I've had a great taste.

  My husband - wow, a weird thing to say – was showing me the apartment where we've lived for the last two years, three years ahead of my last memory. It was a beautiful and very pleasant place. The room was filled with touches that reflected some ideas I had for a future home when I was younger. Around the living room there were frames illustrating my life with Avi, before and after the wedding. Everything was very familiar and common, something that made me relieved, since I would freaked out by the idea of ​​living with a famous person. Avriel seemed humble, simple, and a normal person, and displayed no signs of luxury demands or glamour.

  The tour around the apartment didn't take long; in fact, it was pretty straightforward, and had its end in the bedroom. With warm lighting, the suite had a relevant size with a huge bed at the center and a few mobiles around. To the right, one door to the closet and one for the bathroom which had, beyond the basic, a bathtub. Everything was beautiful, peaceful and cozy. Avi put the backpack with my belongings from the hospital on the bed, and naturally looked at me waiting for a reaction. I froze in attempts to say something, when it came to my mind that perhaps what he wanted to know was how we would spend the night. Confused and without arguments, my mouth remained open, reproducing sounds meaningless sounds. I probably misunderstood his expression, once he sensed my unease and fixed his body in a serious posture, clearing his throat and showing restraint in his tone.

- Er... do you want something to eat? If you're hungry I can...

- No, no, that's okay - I interrupted him - I just want to rest for a bit - I said, uncomfortable with that the situation. I looked at the bed and realized I could not escape from this dilemma for long. I returned my eyes to Avi, thinking of something to say, but he smiled.