Chapter 8

ALICE's P.O.V

I was miserable. I felt useless and ineffective. Actually, I was unresigned with such injustice. How could this happen? My services for MG Motors were too significant for them to simply dismiss me after the accident. How can anyone be invalid? Resign me, okay! But plucking me from the market? That was cruel...

The rest of the weekend wasn't pleasant. I restrained myself all the time because I didn't want to look weak in front of Avi, but this was only possible with insulation. He in turn, tried to show all support to me throughout that moment. While I appreciate the effort and affection, in that situation, it was not enough. I asked him to take me into the office earlier that week to demand explanations, and he agreed, offering all possible assistance. It was sweet to see him doing everything he could to make me feel good, but my focus was only one at the time: get my career back.

The Monday came, and I tried to stay as calm as possible to go to the company. Of course it did not happen.

I woke up early - unusual. I made breakfast - unusual. I cleaned the whole house - very unusual... I did it all being watched by Avi, who tried to calm me down all the time. Obviously nothing worked, and soon after lunch I ran to get dressed. I kept replaying in my mind a furious speech on how the company had been unfaithful to my work, and blah blah blah. I was angry with myself and all that caring, but it was inevitable. I had a lot to lose.

I tried to look as professional as possible. A clear blue ¾ sleeve shirt that I found in the closet, tight black pants, a nude peep toe with medium heels and hair up, letting the curls fall from the top of my head. It didn't take long to get ready, and, thank God, Avi either. With the common beanie on his head, washed jeans and a plaid shirt, wasn't necessary to put much effort for a good appearance.

In the car, I was still apprehensive. Feet slapped the floor, my nails were in my mouth, my stare lost at corners... some of these fads weren't part of my habits, and my husband must have realized, once he interrupted my attachment visible, ending the silence between us.

- Ali... don't misunderstand me, I don't want to frustrate you, you're clearly excited, but... what do you really want with this visit? - he dropped the question in the air, attracting my attention.

I mused for a moment, confused between various thoughts, as he cast quick glances waiting for my answer, trying not to take his eyes off the road for long. Several words came to mind, but only one seemed to fit. I fixed my eyes on Avi and took a deep breath.

- To fight. - I summarized. My husband sighed for a moment, giving me a weak smile, and eyes showing admiration. I returned the smile, and he put his hand over mine, squeezing lightly, keeping the focus on the way.

- I'm with you. - The gesture moved me, and I shook his hand back, whispering thanks.

We ended up chatting for the rest of the time in the car, which distracted from pessimistic thoughts and made me gradually relax. When we arrived, I felt prepared and ready to challenge the warning I had received, maintaining the serious posture and then walking towards the entrance of the factory. I took a deep breath when the doors opened.

The reception was immense and calm. The lighting was amazing, sustained by simple chandeliers, bringing to the environment the seriousness it demanded. The clear and extensive ground was brilliant and aggregated certain luxury to the site. At the corners there was pale leather sofas, which guaranteed the warmth to the few entrepreneurs and executives who were there talking and watching who entered.

As we walked, Avi took me by hand, casting a smile which I replied shyly, keeping me attentive to the beautiful girl behind a large desk. She looked shocked and awkward when she saw me, and when I approached, she smiled with sympathy and affection.