Chapter 4

- You really did it? - Kevin asked laughing

- Yeah man, yeah ... I completely forgot about the situation - I said laughing at myself, remembering what had happened the morning.

- She’s crazy to continue in the same house with a freak like you - he sneered.

- Don’t even joke to say that! - I pushed him playfully, and he retaliated.

  It was already 5pm and Alice hadn’t responded to the message I sent a few hours ago. The meeting had taken a little longer than expected for some disagreements of our schedules and we had to think about alternatives to adjust things. Luckily I was able to convince them to take longer vacations, so I could dedicate to my wedding and development of Ali, who by the way, was making me worried at that time.

- How about going to the beach this weekend, Avi? The heat is calling us to jump in the water. - Scott said, and Kirstie agreed, while sharing a coke with Mitch.

- It's true, it's past time for us to take a dip in the sea. We could call Esther and maybe a moment between girls could help Alice. I really miss her.

  Me too.

- Sure, I'll suggest it to her and notice you. But right now I must go, I'm afraid to leave her alone for so long. See you soon!

- Bye daddy! - Mitch blinked with a flirtatious voice, and I laughed returning the winking and waving back.

  I took my phone out of my pocket and dialed Alice's number as I walked to the car. She attended the time I unlock the doors and sit in direction.

- Yes?

- Hey ba... Alice... - I paused, embarrassed - I sent you a message some time ago warning about the delay. You received?

- Oh, yes ... forgive me for not answering, I must have forgotten... - Her voice seemed dry and almost inaudible.

- Are you okay? - I realized her struggle to choose the right words to respond.

- Yes yes, I am. Don’t worry. Just drive carefully. - She hung up soon after.

  I got worried about what might have put her down. I kept my mind busy thinking about it all the way back home. I made a stop at a drive-thru to get her something and it took me 50 minutes to get to our apartment.

  I opened the door cautiously, and came across with Ali sitting on the couch and the TV on. I realized she was not watching because her gaze was distant and disconnected. The same gaze lifted when she saw me enter, carrying the snack in hand and leaving it in the counter. I smiled and greeted her. She forced a smile back and I went to her.

- How was your day? - I asked, sitting down beside her on the couch. She didn’t look at me, but kept the attention lost in the ground.

- It was ok I guess. Not very productive, but I could not expect anything beyond.

- Then why are you with that look? - I questioned without taking my eyes of her and her face lifted, finding mine. She sighed and inspected everything around, still without answering me.

- Alice. Tell me. - She looked at me.

- I called work - She clasped her hands -. I asked about my current situation and when I could return. Of course I expected it somehow, but the reception wasn’t very encouraging. I could feel by the way they talked to me that I would be a burden to the company, now that my mind erased everything I've done all the while I remained there. I not only don’t know how things work but also have a delayed outlook of current business, and how is my profession. They promised me an answer soon, but I don’t think there is hope. - She paused and I waited. - I'm afraid Avi.