Chapter 9

ALICE’s P.O.V

   I could no longer ignore the ringing phone.

  I was aware that I had already past the time to wake up, and I should have got up a long time ago, but laziness and sleep kept me glued in bed. Avi and I hadn’t had the best of the conversations the day before, and there was much to be absorbed, so sleeping was something very difficult. And it was being even more difficult in the last minutes, as the phone wouldn’t shut up.

  Still hesitating, I stretched myself on the bed, rolling from side to side and got rid of the blanket. My hair was a mess , and my eyes were swollen and lazy. Pulling myself up, I hurried to get to the door, staggering all the way and putting my hand over my ears that could not stand the shrill tone that the phone freed.

  I opened the door with extreme parsimony and took up my wrists, trying to block out the light that bothered my eyes, which hadn’t adjusted yet. Slowly, I walked into the room looking for the phone.

  Avi was literally thrown on the couch, completely clumsy and, as far as I could see, fainted. The blanket was on the floor and pillow just about to fall, the clothes thrown to the mat, and he was twisted, only in his underwear, with head fallen sideways, one leg hanging down and one hanging up. His mouth was open, showing how far he was from reality at that moment. I usually would laugh, but I couldn’t move any muscle in my face.

  Still impressed by the fact the agonizing ring hadn’t woke him up, I took the phone from the central table, still looking at him and taking the object to my ear.

- Hello? - my voice was still hoarse and lifeless.

- Alice? Honey? - the female voice on the line said, filling up with hope while waiting for a response.

- Yes?

- Oh my God, sweetie! Finally I heard your voice! Avriel won't let me talk to you for fear that I would scare you! That boy remains extremely jealous with what is his! - she laughed - How are you? - the lady said excitedly and I needed a moment for my morning mind work.

- I'm fine... um... excuse me, but who is this? - I put a hand on my waist and looked out the window, watching the day and thinking about how I should be delayed.

- Honey, it's me, your mother-in-law!

- My... - wait ... - Mrs. Kaplan? - I replied confused, widening my eyes a little as nervousness was being accumulating in my throat, unintentionally giving a false step to the right and knocking the TV control that was on the edge of the table, causing it to shatter on the floor and release a noise that made Avi moan and squirm. Of course, with that he wakes up!

- Oh, please do not call me that, hahaha! It's been so long since I’ve seen you! I'm really missing you, and I'm very worried about you! How is your memory? Is Avi taking good care of you? – the questions echoing in my head adding the worry about waking Avi, who now was stretching and preparing to open his eyes, hasn’t made me the most excited person in the world.

- Yes, he... he has been great... - I replied through gritted teeth while my husband was looking at my face, rubbing his eyes and looking confused. I covered the phone with my hand and leaned over, whispering nervously 'your mother is on the phone, oh my God,' and his once little eyes, grew instantly.

- That lazy is sleeping, right? - Avi's mother said dejectedly on the line, awakening me as he tried desperately to get rid of the couch, stumbling attempts to stand up and come to me.

- Well, he was... - at this point, Avi had his hands on the phone, whispering fearfully 'give me!' - Um, look Mrs. Kaplan, your son wants to talk to the Mrs., I mean, you, but it was a pleasure known.. I mean, talk to...