Chapter One

"Now," a woman knelt gently to the floor, her dark pants stretching and nametag weighing her blazer, "what happened?" Her brunette hair was short, resting flat against her shoulder. Her face was twisted to appear semi trusting, but her questioned filled the air and fell on deaf ears. She bit her bottom lip in thought, glancing to a bystanding nurse who only shrugged. "What happened to you two?"

In front of her was a bland white hospital bed. Bleached until any sign of past patients was undetectable. The mattress bent unnaturally at the weight of two individuals. From the psychiatrist's position on the floor, she could see directly into the glossed over pairs of eyes, one a light blue and the other a dark green. Neither had said a word since they had been admitted after arriving at the Starling City airport only a few hours earlier. The staff was completely bewildered by their appearances and it was an even greater shock to realize both were currently presumed dead.

Several more hours passed. People filed in and out of the room, but the two remained quite still. They had gone through a considerable amount of x-rays and examinations. Their clothing was changed now. From dirty, foreign rags to jeans and a t-shirt.

The woman, a tall blonde, sat still on a lumpy bed. Her back faced the door, yet she was entirely aware of the conversation going on just outside of the room. Her gaze was locked on the pale, tile floor, her hands gripping the fabric beneath her like a needed life source. In her mind, the blasting air conditioning, the quietness of the room, the sound of traffic not far below them, it was all a surreal delusion andher heart rate beeped so slowly she was sure at any moment she would awaken from some cruel dream, still lying on the bitter ground that belonged to Lian Yu.

Her tired eyes blinked away the frightening thought as she forced her vision to look towards her company. Oliver Queen stood in front of the only window, his buff torso calmly rising and falling while he took in the towering skyline and the bright lights.

"Their bodies were both covered in an abundance of scar tissue," the voice from outside the room spoke. They both recognized it as their doctor. "His is twenty percent. Neither of them have said a word. We've got no idea what exactly happened while they were away."

It grew silent for several moments and the blonde could feel the slight pinch of a stare on her back.

"When will they be discharged?"

"Now, I suppose," he glanced through the translucent wall. "We've done everything we can, any further results could take a week or two." His tone held concern, perhaps it wasnt best for either of the shipwrecked to leave, but he had done his job the best he could. He slid his glasses off the ridge of his nose before he spoke again. "As for the girl--"

"Have you contacted her family?"

"Her records were delete upon her presumed death and of course we've not been able to get them out of her." Oliver's mother sighed, glancing again towards her son with fondness and care.

"I'll help miss Howard get home safely."

~~~

The hour hand on the clock could have only moved past a few numbers by the time they were discharged from the hospital. The steps they walked down were old and cre=a ked in several places, a catalog of the past emergencies it had endured. On the street below, cameras flashed like a summer storm. A wave of uproar broke out as the reporters spotted the two. With no barrier between them, Oliver and the young woman beside him were enveloped in the chaos. There footsteps quickened, trying their best to maneuver through the demanding questions and hot bodies.