Chapter 28

Darkness,

Blurry images,

Repeat.

~~~

Two weeks later...

Bethany's POV

Anxiously, I tapped my pencil against the smooth wood of my desk. The clock on the wall to my right seemed to tick almost mockingly as I sat in class.

30 seconds.

The sound of zippers and the thud of books closing barely broke through the barrier of the noise that echoed.

Tick.

Tick.

Tick.

With as much strength as I could muster, I pulled my green eyes away from the wall and looked back down at my notes.

25 second.

Taking a deep breath, I listened as the teacher continued to teach despite that fact that we had less than a minute left of school.

"The bell doesn't dismiss you, I do," he would always say, but it was eighth period and we all wanted to go home. "You're nearly juniors. You all know better."

20 seconds.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could feel a slight discomfort as though I was being watched. When I made eye contact with him, I wished I hadn't.

He smiled sheepishly at me, his black hair gelled in an upward direction perfectly, and his bright brown eyes seemed entirely innocent, but I knew better.

10 seconds.

Although he continued to stare at me, I looked away not enjoying the attention he was sending me as though he was a predator and I was his prey.

Despite the fact that everyone else had packed up and was ready to sprint out the door, the components of my entire bag were laying on my desk. I wanted everyone to leave before I did.

5
4
3
2
1

And just like that, the bell rang and half the class was gone within moments. I slowly began to place my belongings into my bag until it was closed and I was ready to go.

When I saw that everyone had left and I was all alone, I let out a breath of relief. All day, people had been watching me, sometimes whispering amongst a group they were in or perhaps not saying anything at all. I knew I wasn't crazy, even the people that talked to me on a regular basis were doing it, and when I asked why they gave me no answer.

When I left the classroom, it was no surprise to see people practically grouping by the lockers.

An arm slung around my shoulder and I was completely caught off guard. Looking up at the face that belonged to the limb clinging to me, I rolled my eyes.