Chapter Two

Stepping off the train, a strange sense of familiarity swam around Bethany. The air was moist with the remnants of the previous rainfall and the clouds in the sky seemed to shelter her from the burning sun. The humidity added a small dose of frizziness to her usually straight hair and provided some calmness over the suddenly bustling people.

Exiting the train station, the blonde stopped a bright yellow cab, gave the driver the address, and drove the long distance to her childhood home only to discover that it was currently vacant of human presence. She let out a small huff, looking towards the sky for some recognition of the time. It could be no later than noon.

Her feet shuffled back down the cement steps so that she had a view of the narrow, winding road. It seemed to stretch and contort into a distance that mocked how far she had already come.

In defeat, she trekked down the sidewalk, headed for the other building she'd gotten to know far too well throughout her adolescence, even if there was a chance her father figure wouldn't be there.

Either way, the location seemed convenient, she was sure she would probably have to legally proclaim she was still alive. The thought made her shiver. Bethany wasn't ready to answer the questions she knew would be asked.

As she reached further into town, the blonde examined all the familiar buildings. The Big Belly Burger on the corner was the exact same. The sign above the door was still dirtied and the light in one of the Bs was out.

The restaurant wasn't the only place to spark her interest, the famous coffee shop, CC Jitters, appeared completely foreign. The letters about the doorway were written in a more classic font.

Bethany walked in, the jingle above the door ringing throughout the old coffee shop. She wasn't sure if it was out of curiosity or procrastination of the potentially stressful events quickly approaching her, but she entered the corner store without a second thought.

The old red and white theme had been replaced by a more modern white layout along with other vibrant colors. Booths were replaced with tall tables and chairs while the mugs were now a pure white.

"Welcome to Jitters," spoke a faux, jaunty women from behind the counter. She was leaned over, a towel in her hand as she dried something off of the floor. The barista sniffled repeatedly, almost as though she had been crying, but Bethany's mind had wandering too many other places to notice.

The blonde turned one-eighty degrees, taking in the changes, creating a new, mental map of the city.

"Bethany," a voice spoke suddenly. Her head snapped quickly in the direction of the counter. She found herself facing a woman with golden skin and puffy eyes.

"Iris." Relief washes through the survivor as she was immediately embraced. Forcing the tension in her body to subside, the blonde pulled back, looking over her friend.

The maturity that Iris now held was unmistakable. Her posture had straightened and her hair was no longer frizzy. Her outfit was casual, yet matched a trend that was definitely in fashion. Overall, she just looked older, which Bethany was sure could be said about herself.

"I missed you so much." The brunette hugged her friend again, assuring herself that she was really standing in front of her. "We all thought you were dead."

The mascara that ran down Iris' cheeks elongated as more tears fell. She wiped them away quickly as a joyful smile appeared on her face.