Chapter 17

"I knew I could count on you, son."

"You won't hurt her?"

"Why would I? We need her in good health. Plus, she would protest."

"Yeah, well, she'll protest anyway."

Bethany began to stir awake, surrounding noises sounding rather distant. She tried to open her eyes, but bright lights begged her not to.

The men paused, noticing the girl's movements before continuing.

"I have to go talk to Nathan. You better be here when she wakes up."

Footsteps echoed through the room until they eventually became too far away to hear.

The blonde groaned, shifting on the bed so that her face wasn't directly facing the light.

She sat up, twisting her body so her feet were on the ground while rubbing her face.

When she opened her eyes, Bethany nearly jumped when she saw a man wearing a gray suit with brown hair and brown eyes watching her with an amused look on his face.

She squinted her blue-green eyes at him, only taking them away to look at her surroundings.

The walls of the room she was in were gray, several expensive looking paintings hanging on them. In the corner, a round staircase led up to a second floor. Large windows displayed the Central City Pier, yachts and boats sailing over the waters. She was in a penthouse.

Bethany looked down at what she had been laying on. It was a white couch, extending all the way down the wall it was up against with a ottoman to match, which the man just happened to be sitting on.

"Bethany," he said calmly, causing the blonde to look back at him.

"How do you know my name," she questioned, examining her arms and legs to see she wasn't restrained.

"Because, I know you," he shrugged, standing up.

She thought for a second, realizing that she had been taken, kidnapped. In one swift move, Bethany stood using her speed, which she had only used for the first time a few hours ago, and ran across the room, though, she didn't get far when an unbearable pain erupted in her back.

She yelp as she was involuntarily frozen in place.

The man stood, looking rather unimpressed by the girl's actions. He walked casually over, electricity going from his fingertips connecting with Bethany's lower back.

He tsked several times while she silently continued to yelp in pain, until he was standing in front of her, the electricity now stinging her stomach.

"You'll be thankful I didn't let you leave in a couple minutes." He stated, glancing down at a phone before smiling innocently at her. From there, Bethany could see he was only slightly taller than her, about five foot ten.

"An-An-And why is t-that," she stuttered, fighting against the force that was keeping her still, though, it was no use.

"Because it will change your life," he smiled, almost in a kind way but Bethany didn't know why.

"Jay," the man from earlier entered the room, not seemingly surprised when he saw the blonde's current state. "That's enough," 'Jay' shrugged, putting his arm down, causing the blonde to almost collapse to the ground, but he was nice enough to catch her.

"Why am I here," Bethany questioned in between breaths, forcing her way out of the guy's arms. "Who are you?"

She looked towards the man. He had a clean shaven beard with a scar on his left cheek and wore a business looking suit as well.