Chapter 19

As of the time this chapter is going up, this story has over 3,000 reads which is completely crazy to me.

I'm so thankful to all the support this book has been getting, especially recently, my votes have nearly doubled in the span of two weeks.

I hope you enjoy this chapter and let me know if you have any ideas for this book.

~~~

"Barry," Wells said almost worriedly as the speedster re-entered the Cortex, his scarlet suit covered in dirt. "What happened out there? Where's Bethany?"

"I don't know, she left." He walked over to the manikin slightly limping and quickly changed into his normal clothes. "She was with the people at the robbery."

"Well do you know what any of them looked like," Cisco question, having an idea as he ran around the desk to sit behind his computer. He typed in some information and several pictures popped up. "Every person in the CCPD criminal data base. If you can look through these-"

He was cut off by Barry pushing him out of the way and using his speed to fly through the page and stop on a picture of a gruff looking man. Caitlyn walked over.

"Someone had a rough time in jail," she said, pointing out the scar on the man's cheek. "The man's name is-"

"Douglas Howard," someone said from the entrance of the cortex. Everyone turned their heads to see Joe standing in the door way. His face held confidence and worry, two things that didn't look well together.

"Howard," Dr.Wells questioned, pretending to be ignorant of the name.

"Like Bethany Howard," Barry asked furrowing his eyebrows.

"Her father," Dr.Wells added.

"Yes." Joe walked in, setting his jacket down before turning towards the rest of the group. He thought for a minute, wondering how much he should say, and how much he should let Bethany say when she was back with them. "When she was younger there were... complications that caused her to have to live with a foster family. I've known her since she was eight. That was about a year before she moved in with you." He looked up towards Barry, who looked confused, realizing that he never really thought directly about the reason Bethany had gone to live with him.

"What kind of complications," Cisco asked.

"Family problems. Look I'm not going to say a lot because I'm sure she would rather have everyone hear it from herself rather than me, but she's in danger."

"How do you know," Caitlyn questioned, crossing her arms.

Joe paused, afraid that he would regret telling them when Bethany told him not to, but she was his daughter as much as Iris was and wanted her to be safe.

"I saw her," he said simply.

"When," Barry yelled in frustration while pulling at his hair. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"She told me not to, said there were risks." He looked to the floor, remembering the dark bruise on her cheek before looking back up to everyone." The point is, she thought she could handle it on her own, as much as she has gone through I'm sure she thought she could, but you all haven't seen her at her worst," He looked around the room, watching everyone's face individually, "at her weakest."

"And you have," Dr.Wells questioned but it came out as more of a statement.

"She wouldn't give up even if she was on her death bed. Unless it came to something she was really afraid of. We need to find her, even just bringing her here and locking her up in the pipeline would be enough to keep her away from Douglas."