prologue, the volkovian reign

prologue"glory and gore"

prologue
"glory and gore"

Lusine found it amusing to gaze down upon Asgard from her home. To stare in unattended curiosity at all its beautiful glory in the middle of the night when she couldn't sleep. To let its golden lights flicker through the dark and reach her with a warmth she had no interest in pursuing.

She had her home and that was enough. There was no desire to stretch her legs beyond its walls, to breath the air of new, or even to taste the blood of Asgard's beloved.

The Volkov family lived on a moon known as the ever-hostile and unforgiving Remulan. The Wolf Moon. The home of the snarling. She found herself to be an easy comparison to the moon; undeniably enchanting and yet a born predator, armed to the teeth.

Lusine had been born with the gift of enrapturing beauty. Not in the sense of the curve of her lips, the rise of her cheekbones or the flutter of eyelashes. It was a magic that had found itself a home inside of the girl.

As she grew up, she had learnt to control her gift. Now she could simply hold the hand of another in hers and grasp them within her spell. The Volkov Princess often used her gift for mischief. Along side her brother Lycus she would run a muck around the palace of the Volkovs messing with the minds of the guards as Lycus watched and laughed at their stupidity.

She got inside their mind, messed them up and then left them to pick up the pieces of their dignity as she and her brother cackled madly in their escape.

Lusine was not the only gifted twin. Lycus was skilled in the art of battle. The way the Prince swung an twisted his double-ended spear made Lusine glad she was his sister, not his enemy. She had seen him kill a man with his bare hands, she had seen the way his eyes darkened and she had seen the way he fought for his family with undoubted honour.

So, when word hit Asgard that the King and Queen of Remulan along with their Princess of mischievous beauty and their Prince of dark honour were journeying to their realm, the city erupted into whispers and gossips.

Their reputation proceeded them in many ways. Lusine knew it would happen and she hoped that it would mean the Asgardians would stay out of her and Lycus' way, or else they would truly know what the Volkov twins could do.

But, the tales of the royal twins did not coarse fear through the hearts of the Asgardians. It caused an uproar of interest that Loki found most fascinating.

He wanted to know more about the Volkovs. He wanted to know how much damage the Prince and Princess could really cause. He'd heard the stories, but seeing first hand was an opportunity that he most definitely could not afford to miss. Perhaps to stir the pot would not be such a terrible idea.

-

"Lusine, do hurry up. The ship is to leave in a few minutes time and you and all your baggage is not aboard as of now!" Her mother, Queen Selene, says with an exasperated sigh escaping her elegant pink lips.