19| IN WHICH THINGS SEEM TO GET WORSE

The dress was cut open around her wound, sliced viciously by her brother. The blood had soaked into the fabric, staining it red, along with painting her skin vibrantly.

Upon turning around he lets his eyes briefly graze over her figure, every inch and scar of her skin was now engrained into his memory, but now his eyes were firmly locked onto the angry, red cut along her stomach. The crimson red blood against the pale skin of her stomach made him even more sure that she was completely chaotic, it was a mark of her insanity in that once she was harmed by her opponent the darkness took over and would put a swift end to the enemy.

But why that made him uneasy he did not know.

Lusine hisses through her teeth as he cleans the wound. Her pain was written all over her face, despite her best efforts to hide it with her cold expression. Finally, she asks the question that had been biting at her tongue since she saw him rip Lycus off her. "Why did you save me?"

"Did you not want me to save you?" He murmurs in response, his fingers working around the cloth. His eyes did not meet hers.

"I could have handled it," Lusine complains, but she knows the truth. There was no way she could have saved herself. Her brother was driven and dying. He had nothing left to lose with the woman he loved murdered, his sister turned against him and his mother and father oblivious to his destructive tendency. Lusine was as good as dead with his hands grasping her throat. Without Loki she would have passed.

"He was going to kill you and you know it." Loki draws his hands and the cloth away from Lusine, dipping it back into the water bowl. He lifts up a bottle of alcohol and tips it onto the cloth. Lusine eyes it, knowing the pain to come.

As he wipes it across her wound she winces, a breath of pain escaping her lips, but she carries on talking to attempt to distract herself. "The last time I saw you was when Cloris died and you did not say a word to me. Thor had to comfort me in your place, Loki."

"You didn't seem all that bothered to be in his arms instead of mine," Loki huffs, pressing a little harder than he should have. Lusine squirms, her hand clasping around his wrist.

"Don't take your anger out on me. I've been nothing but good to you. It did bother me that you weren't the one comforting me, don't ever dream of thinking it didn't."

Loki looks down at her hand wrapped around his wrist before looking up, looking into her eyes for the first time since they'd been together. They were as he'd remembered them. Heroically blue, compassionate and holding so much for him to take that he couldn't help but stare into them in awe of the beauty. He yanks his hand away from her.

"Don't try to use your magic on me, Lusine, it will not succeed in getting you what you want," He hisses, stepping away from her.

"And what is it that I want, Loki? Because, from you, I don't know what I want anymore. It doesn't seem like you care about me in the way I care for you."