21| SILVER TONGUE TURNED TO LEAD

Lusine was done in the gardens. The visions made her feel as if being alone was not favourable. The company of Loki on the other hand, was most definitely favourable. Especially if his mentions of chaos were to continue. Lusine enjoyed talking about their plans together. It made her feel like she finally belonged somewhere. Chaos was the only thing tying her to Loki.

He was the bringer of chaos, she fed off it like she was a vampire and he was the sweetest kind of blood that ran along the tongue like honey. She savoured the honey. Remembered it when it was gone and savoured it when it ran along her dried lips as if it were going extinct. She wished she could escape his grasp some days and just find happiness in herself, but he always pulled her right back to him with his silver tongue.

Now she would go to him. She would tell him of her predicament with the ghostly duo of her past and hope that he would fix her, bring her back to who she was. The chaos was running out. Lusine Volkov was not the same chaotic woman she was when she arrived in Asgard.

He was outside the feast hall. Watching as his brother flipped a table across the room and sent the glorious foods, that had been delicately prepared for the occasion, all over the floor in a mess.

Lusine approaches. She runs her hand along his lower back, curling her fingers around his side. He looks down at her with a glowing flicker of a smile bracing his lips.

Loki steps forward, beginning his walk into the room to comfort his brother. Lusine follows behind him, pulling her lips together to hide the smile that threatened.

The feast hall was to be a place abundant with celebrations and joy, but that was crushed like a glass in the hand by the Frost Giants who came to steal the tesseract from the clutches of the Asgardians. Now the hall was in ruins. A shell of what it was destined to be.

Loki sits down beside his brother on the cold stone steps. Lusine stands not far behind as she's watching the exchange. Loki looks over his shoulder briefly at her before turning back to his brother.

His words are like silk to the ear. Delicate, soft and everything you want to hear. It was the pride of Thor that allowed Loki to get in his head, to weave his ideologies into the waves of his mind. "If it's any constellation," He begins, "I think you're right about the Frost Giants, about Laufey. If they penetrated our defences once, what's saying they won't do it again?"

Lusine steps forward, putting a hand on Loki's shoulder."Next time with an army." She adds fuel to the fire that was already roaring. The duo made their recipe for disaster, they'd made it with a flick of their tongues.

"The only way you can do anything is by disobeying father's orders," Loki tells him.

Thor rises to his feet. it was his determination to do something, anything to protect his home is exactly what made him burn bright in the eyes of all.

"This is madness," Loki tries, but Thor persists.

Lusine looks to Loki and then to Thor. His determination stirred a fierce part of her, a part that found herself seeking adventure. "I'm coming with you whether you like it, or not. I could do with a good fight to get... things out of my system," She says commandingly as is she were their queen and they were her servants, below her.

Thor raises a blond eyebrow at her as he looks sceptical, but Loki just gives her a short nod. "You're going to do it in that dress?"

"I'm good, but fighting in a dress is hard work, Thor. I'll meet you at the horses in twenty minutes. If you leave without me, you'd better come back so I can rip you apart myself." She was over powering. So incredibly hard to say no to. Her enchanting manner was noting but an illusion though, underneath was a skeleton woven and embroidered with the darkness and the fear of being alone.

Aggression was her weapon, she threatened and threatened until she felt strong. Why would she want to feel small in the presence of such powers? Her heart was frail and painted black, her skin was like marble and she was cold, a shell and empty.

Holding someone close seemed to make her forget that she was dying from the inside out.

-

Loki never thought Lusine could look more fierce than she already did, but he was oh so wrong. He was proven wrong when she walked into the stables clad in tight black trousers that clung to her like another layer of skin. She wore a metal chest plate, designed perfectly for her figure and decorated with dragon scales that shimmered in the light of the stables. From her shoulders hung a cape that embodied the appearance of a black sea running from her, its waves curling as she strode forward with her spear in hand. Thor was positive he could still see stains of Pelia's blood on it.

Lusine pulls herself up onto the pure white mare next to Loki and gives him a smile. He stares at her, surprised at her turn out. Seeing the warrior side of her was a shock to him. He knew she could fight, she had to in order to survive on the Wolf Moon. It was a rough place and she had been taught to fight from a young age.

He couldn't understand how someone as dangerous as Lusine Volkov was allowed to exist.

"Are we ready to leave now that you two are done gawking at one another?" Thor sasses, smirking at his brother who looked love sick.

Lusine rolls her eyes, but smiles all the same. "I'm done, I've already seen everything he has to offer," She responds, giving Loki a wink as she kicks her horse forward.

Thor lets out a booming laugh, a laugh to match his father's, as he too spurs his horse onward. They follow without question, not looking back once as they gallop along the Bifrost. Lusine looks over to Loki, her eyes mirroring a child's as they tasted the sweetness of sugar for the first time on their pink tongues.

They grin at one another, just like they were in love and no one could touch them. He knew the love that ran through her veins for him. It was like purest kind of venom and she'd induced it upon herself as poison.

They reach Heimdall all at once. He stands tall with his mighty sword in hand. They dismount and walk to meet the man of wisdom. Loki says he'll get them through so they all watch him with curious, prying eyes.

Inevitably, Loki fails and Thor is the one to get them their passage. Lusine presses her lips together, but they curl up into a compressed smile. She presses her hand to Loki's upper arm, he could feel her icy touch on his skin and know it was her without even looking.

"What happened?" She asks, her smile growing wider by the word. "Silver tongue turned to lead, honey?" Her mocking did not go down well. Loki looks away from her, but she cannot contain her bubbling laughter.

She hadn't laughed this much in months.

-

1254 words

this chapter was hard to write and i don't even know why. im not entirely happy with it but i think i'll come back an edit it at some point, that's what editing is for, right? to make things better?

i've been obsessing over colors by halsey recently, the video killed me in many ways and i haven't stopped listening to it for days.

love, lau <3