26| BURDENS, PREVENTABLE EVENTS AND A GREAT DEAL OF MISFORTUNE

The medic room was filled with bustling nurses and doctors, just like the one Lusine had thrown at the wall moments ago, without a single thought of what he may have done for her brother. She was careless like that and it made the power caged within her just that little more dangerous, she was easily overcome and controlled. A mind so strong and yet so fragile at the same time was of course dangerous and a disaster waiting to happen.

But her mind was as clear as summer's day as she rounded the corner to see him lying upon a bed of white, eyes closed to the world. His skin was paler than she remembered it being. The last time she'd seen him he was flushed red hot with fury, something the duo wanted to forget.

Like air, Lusine glides into the room. Moving past the rushing nurses was difficult when there were so many of them, but she reached her brother's side and sunk down into the armchair at his bedside.

"Mother told me you'd come, dear sister," His frail voice says. Lusine was taken aback by his awareness to her presence and his hoarse voice, weak and fragile. Not like the warrior she had once known, the man who commanded one of the greatest armies in all the realms. "But, she told me that you'd be here to finish me off."

"I'm not here to kill you."

"Then why are you here? Surely you're not here to apologise because the Lusine Volkov that has grown from Asgard never apologises to those below her." He laughs, rolling his head to face her. His eyes open slowly, revealing the dull blue. The dead blue that would have shattered her heart if she had known hers were the mirror image.

"I did come to apologise for what I did to you. I blamed you for a period, but now I know it was all me. My inability to control the  demon inside of my veins almost murdered you, Lycus. It almost murdered you because it feared death more than anything else in this bloody universe, and you were the bringer of the iron hammer. For the burden I have placed upon your shoulders in this course of preventable events, I am truly sorry."

Lycus squeezes his eyes shut. "I almost killed you."

Lusine reaches her hands forward and takes his shaking hand in her own. She may have been icy cold, but the comfort was all he needed.

"How many times have I almost killed you in this lifetime, Lycus? I've thrown you into countless walls and used my magic on you too many times to count. Volkovs are built to survive hardship and war, we just took advantage of that and had our own war." She grips his hand hard and presses her lips thin. "We should never have become this way."

"Fate has a funny way of doing things we don't want it to," Lycus replies softly. "It's the driving force of the universe and yet it feels like it does more bad than good."

Lusine breathlessly laughs, looking down at their clasped hands. Her skin matched his deathly pale colour, but she knew why she was in this state. And it was by no means fate. "I used to believe in fate."

"And what happened?"

"I fell in love with the wrong person and now he holds my heart between his fingertips," She squeezes his fingers, softly this time, almost sadly. "He could close his hand and every fragment of me would still love him, as much as I hate to admit it."

"He saved you from... from me. He would not crush your heart." Lycus' attempts to sew hope back into her warmed her brave heart in elements, but her hope was long gone.

"He does not see me as anything but a weapon, a tool," Her head bows further. "But I still can't return to Wolf Moon with you, Lycus. Whatever he has planned, he's going to need me."

"But if you come with us then you can start over, fall in love with someone who deserves you." The realisation that he was losing his sister as well as his first love made the pain come rushing back. She was his best friend, losing her would be losing everything.

"For what I have done, I deserve Loki. All those people I have needlessly murdered laugh at me from the grave every time he touches me and I deserve it, Lycus. I deserve the pain."

The sight of tears running down her cheeks renders him speechless. He hadn't seen her cry in years and now that she was sobbing before him he knew that her mind was made up and there was no pulling her back now. Her tears painted her cheeks with sorrow as she stood from the arm chair.

As she kisses his forehead, he could feel the wetness on his cheeks. Delicately, it embraced his skin and sunk in deeper than her words.

"Goodbye, Lycus," She says, her chest tightening. "May we see one another again."

"We will, I promise," He calls after her as she strides away from him, wiping at her cheeks with her back of her hand. "I promise," He whispers to himself as he lets his eyes close and sleep overcome him.

-

900 words

lycus is a cutie and I love him ok

also, which avenger do you ship lycus with??