06 | love, untamed

We can't help who we fall in love with.

SHADOWS CLING to the outskirts of Ria's vision as she sits at the far corner of the bar

SHADOWS CLING to the outskirts of Ria's vision as she sits at the far corner of the bar. The only source of light comes from the persian blue hue radiating off of her friend's performance stage. Sophia's raspy voice pulls the audience into a grungy trance while Jared's soft serenade backs up her vocals.

There's a soft pull in the corner of Ria's mouth as she watches them fall into their musical sync. Ria's — only — favorite band, Roses with Thorns; a name she had proudly help them come up with back in college.

Not the most creative title, but one they adored. Jared, with his soft tone and gentle lyrics, is the rose while Sophia with her raw voice and somber undertones represents the thorns. Together they create a perfectly balanced representation of alternative rock.

A vibration in her lap draws her attention away from her friends as they hype up the tired bar and towards her phone.

He's texting me already?

Ria sucks in her bottom lip, willing her heart not to get too chaotic at the thought of Ashton.

After she so foolishly gave in to his charms and agreed to be his muse, Ashton promised to give her a loose schedule of when he'd be available to mentor her. She shudders, remembering his departing words.

I could need you at any time. So always be ready for me.

Husky whispers that made her knees weak as his lips brushed her ear. Searing breath teased her skin as he left tantalizing kisses on her neck. Those words alone were enough to diminish the remainder of her feeble guard and she fell for his charms as she had feared.

Ria huffs and leans against the table. I'm so weak.

Unlocking her phone, she squints through the sudden brightness and reads the text. Her pounding heart comes to a screeching stop.

Chris: Hey baby.

Moisture burns her eyes. A heartless void slinks up beside her. It hovers, prepared to wrap its ruthless claws around her and plunder her fickle emotions.

Why is he texting me?

Another message. Her heart kick starts with an awkward stutter as she reads its contents.

Chris: Sorry it took so long, but I'm ready for us again.

No. No. No. No!

Chris: Can we talk?

"Ria?" The sudden closeness of Jared's voice tears her from the horrors.

She jerks her head up, not even realizing they'd finish their performance, and shoves her phone between her thighs. Sophia appears next to him, sweat pasting her unruly hair to her forehead, not too different from how raven strands stick to his glazed skin.