14 | mutual friends

We're a great team.

"THIS PLACE IS AMAZING

"THIS PLACE IS AMAZING." Jared pushes his glasses up his nose while his wide eyes trace along the high ceilings of the gallery. "I can't believe you work here." His voice is filled with a sense of wonder as his attention jerks towards every painting, photograph and sculpture along the way.

"Not yet." Ria extends an index finger. "Ashton is still mentoring me. He has confirmed that I've made major improvements to my work. He's going to show my portfolio to the owner in a couple of days." The mere thought of it sends electricity zipping through her veins and straight into her heart. In just a few days, she could be signed and sold here just like she's always wanted. Her work appreciated in a prestigious art gallery. One step closer to creating the stars.

"Does he have his own display room?" Jared pokes his head into a hall and whistles. "Is it huge? How many paintings does he have? What's his art like?"

"Very...dark." Ria rubs her arm as goosebumps crawl over her skin. "He has a display room filled with paintings, but I don't really like to go in there."

"Why?" Sophia jumps in and tilts her head to the side. Masses of poofy blonde hair cascade her narrow shoulders.

"Um..." Because he has a painting of a beautiful woman named Vivian inside. "It's very hard for me to decipher. Gives me a headache."

Jared narrows his all-knowing eyes but doesn't question her. Though the message behind his lowered brows and pursed lips is vividly clear. 'You're hiding something.'

"So" — Sophia skips between them and plays with the bottom of her ruffled half-top — "we finally get to meet the mystery man behind your cheesy, romantic rants and raves. How exciting."

"Try not to embarrass me, okay?"

"No promises," she sings.

When they reach the studio, Ria unlocks it with her spare key. Ashton is already inside working on a painting. The sleeves of his white shirt are rolled up as he leans in and swipes his brush along the canvas. He's wearing his favorite pair of blue washed jeans. Splats of dark and bright paints alike stain the surface.

She can tell he's run his fingers through his hair a few times and his brows are low with concentration.

"Should we say something?" Sophia hisses as they slip inside.

Ria shakes her head with an expression of infatuation reaching across her features. "He knows we're here. He's just not good at stopping something once he's started. He can't really control his inspiration."

Sophia shoots Ria a knowing smile. "Geez, woman. Did we miss the wedding?"

Flames caress her cheeks and she rolls her eyes to dismiss the giddish feeling spreading inside her. "No. I just know how he is. When he's in his little world, it's hard to take him out."