27 | enduring the pain

Whatever you need, we're here for you.

RUBBING HER EYES welcomes unfamiliar surroundings

RUBBING HER EYES welcomes unfamiliar surroundings. A weak moan floats from her chapped lips. Throbbing pains reach around her sides making her stomach clench. Ria blinks rapidly.

Everything is foreign. Wrong.

Looking down, she faces Daniel's broad chest. His arms are wrapped around her waist while hers lie across his stomach. Her heart leaps into her throat.

This is not right.

Without thinking, she jumps up from her position and winces, receiving a swift reminder of the strenuous attack she suffered last night when a bolt of lightning cracks through her skull. Holding her tender head, Ria's eyes land on Daniel's groggy face. Her sudden movements pull him awake.

"Buongiorno," he says, voice raspy from sleep. Deep brown eyes land on her littered with concern.

She nods and puts a large space between them on the sofa.

Squinting, Ria attempts to stand as her body aches and bruises pulse over her skin. She scans Daniel's tranquil home, the events of yesterday crashing into her memory.

She should be with Ashton right now. She should have fallen asleep in his arms while he listened to her talk and stroked her hair like he always does.

Why did he send me away?

"Are you okay?" Daniel rises next to her. He presses a large hand into the small of her back, keeping her steady. Ria's stomach flips and she tries to put space between them again. Despite how she desires comfort, getting it from her boyfriend's best friend just doesn't seem right.

Attempting to forget her discomfort, she addresses her first priority — or at least tries to.

She can't speak.

Her tongue is swollen. Her jaw won't unclench. It's like fear itself has captured her voice.

"Ash is on his way. He'll take you home soon."

What is wrong with me?

She turns to look up at Daniel just as her face contorts with pain. Sharp needles surge through her brain, bringing tears to her eyes. She claws onto him and buries her head in his chest.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." He rests her back on the couch and kneels in front of her. Worry pulls at his face while he brushes her hair aside, fingers lingering on her skin. "Ria, do you need to go to the hospital? You don't look so good."

She shakes her head and brushes his hand aside, the warm tingles of his touch leaving her.

I want Ashton.

Daniel pulls his lips into a tight line and his brows lower. He drums his fingers on her knees with nervous energy. "Ria, you haven't said a thing since I've seen you. Can you tell me what happened?"