17 | so be it

She hasn't even burned me yet.

ASHTON JOLTS TO CONSCIOUSNESS on Daniel's sofa with a fine layer of sweat clinging to his body

ASHTON JOLTS TO CONSCIOUSNESS on Daniel's sofa with a fine layer of sweat clinging to his body. His heart slams against his ribcage, threatening to combust. Searing pains shoot through his skull. He groans and cradles his head.

It's getting worse. He's getting worse.

Ashton sits up, wincing when his muscles lock for a brief moment, and looks down at himself. He's wearing the same clothes from last night. A glance out the window across the living room reveals it to be night time. Had he managed to sleep an entire day away?

Not that he'd have anything better to do besides painting his anger out.

Ria hasn't shown up to the gallery for over a week now. No calls or texts. Nothing. Just a heavy silence left between them. His chest tightens and he shoves aside the guilt eating away at him. She chose this. Not me.

Yet, he feels lonely without her. Disappointed that the thing they were building up ended so quickly. He can't wake up to her in the morning. No listening to her ramble on about life in Italy and her favorite hobbies for hours. No goodnight kisses or passionate sex. No more laughing at him as he tries to speak her language.

A mere week and a half and he's more distraught about their non-breakup than he has been with any other woman.

Was it Vivian?

That's what Ria asked him.

The look in her eyes and the softness of her voice told him that she's thought of her before. That painting he has of Vivian is floating in the back of her mind. Ria thinks that she is the reason Ashton can't love.

He chuckles and bows his head over his knees. If only she knew.

The art show is tomorrow and there's no avoiding her. How is he supposed to react when he sees her? Should he apologize? He's not sure what he'd be apologizing for. Sorry, I don't believe in love, but we can still have a great relationship.

He scoffs and rises to his feet. "Maybe I really am being an ass."

Assuming Daniel is in his bedroom, Ashton stretches his taut limbs out and takes sluggish steps down the hall. He's lounging across his bed, tablet held close to his face, probably researching the next chef for his upcoming article.

"Hey, Dan." He sighs.

Daniel glances up briefly before resting his dark eyes back on the screen that illuminates his face in a white glow. "Hey. How are you feeling?"

"Shitty."

"As usual. Are you still moping over that girl?"

"No."

"Then why do you sound like you've been kicked in the heart?" Daniel chuckles. "Not to mention, you came over ahead of schedule and slept most of the day away."