42 | demons

How easy is it to take someone's life?

❝How easy is it to take someone's life?❞

CONFUSION SETTLES IN RIA'S EYES. Two long strides and Ashton is next to her, slowly shifting himself between them. Excitement illuminates Vincent's hurricane-like eyes. Pearly teeth flash as his smile broadens.

"What do you mean, change my life?" Ria's voice is soft behind Ashton. "Who are you?"

Vincent opens his mouth but Ashton speaks up first, "He's my boss."

"Oh?" She aligns herself next to him and interlocks their fingers. "The one from California? I didn't know you accepted the offer already."

"No-" He hesitates, cringing at the curiosity sparking in Vincent's serpent eyes.

"California?" he drags, gaze remaining on Ria, never breaking. "What's going on in California?"

"I-" She bites her lip. Further confusion riddles her delicate features and she glances to Ashton for answers.

Frustration leaves his lips in a sigh. He kneads through his hair and searches for an answer. "Vincent is no one."

"No one? Now I'm offended. I'm a huge part of your life, Ashton." He narrows his eyes and slinks closer, words becoming more playfully daunting. "Me and my sister." His gaze flicks to Ria. "Did Ashton tell you about the little world he's caught up in? His alternative line of work?"

"Vincent, stop." The walls of his throat close in. Lightning shoots up his jaw as he clenches his teeth in aggravated fear.

"No," Ria drags while turning her attention to Ashton. "Who is his sister?"

"You might have heard of her," Vincent taunts and prods their patience. "Her name is Vivian."

Surprise morphs her curious expression with raised brows, wide eyes and fallen cherry lips.

Vincent smirks and draws his attention back to Ashton. "She's gone missing recently and a little rat told me that you know exactly where she is."

"I've told you so many times, I don't know where she is," he grits out. "I haven't seen her since she abandoned me years ago."

Vincent's chest rumbles with low chuckles. He rubs nimble fingers across the shadow along his jawline, brandishing the diamond-studded snake wrapped around a silver band on his index finger. "You see, this rat was insistent that Vivian is very close to you. I thought maybe you tried to run away with her." He nods towards Ria. "Clearly, you weren't that dumb."

Ashton inclines his head with a haughty smile. "Seems like your rat misinformed you."

"Maybe." Vincent continues to stroke his jaw. "Which would be a first. He's always been right about you."

Chills race up Ashton's spine and goosebumps crawl down his arms. He fights back a shiver at the sudden reminder of Vincent's 'eyes'. He's never felt like someone's been watching him, but Vincent's always more informed about his life than even he is.