30 | rupture

Once I tell you the truth, there is no way out.

"YOU'RE STILL UPSET

"YOU'RE STILL UPSET." It's not a question. Ashton knows Ria is unhappy even if she can't express it properly.

She refuses to nod or even look at him, instead, sits on the sofa with her back towards him while scrolling through yet another series of text messages of Chris begging to see her.

"Ria..." His voice is vulnerable and nearly shattered. He walks up behind her and places a trembling hand on her shoulder. "Please don't ignore me."

She shrugs his hand off.

"I'm doing this to help us."

Help us what? I don't even know what you're doing.

For the first time in weeks, emotions attempt to burst through her soulless walls. His secrecy has been tormenting her. They've been together for almost half a year and Ria's stuck in the same spot she was the night they met.

She's told him everything, from venting about her entire life to musing about her dreams. She's moved in with him and accepted him as her boyfriend.

What has he given me?

Secrets.

Lies.

Evading every question she has for him.

Despite her undying care for this man, it's becoming more and more apparent that she doesn't know a single thing about him.

"I promise, I will tell you everything eventually."

She whirls around and glowers at him. When? When are you going to tell me the truth?

Ashton sighs and rubs the side of his tired face. Faint facial hair lines up his usually smooth jaw and fatigue lingers under his eyes. "You know I can't read your mind, right?"

Ria huffs before twisting back around and folding her arms.

"It's really hard having an argument with you when you can't even talk."

Shards of pain slip past her walls and pierce her chest. She glares down at her fingers and clenches them into fists. It's not my fault. I want to speak. I just can't. The longer she goes without using her voice, the easier it becomes to remain silent. It's safe inside her head. Her words are sealed within a vault.

"Ria." This time guilt saturates his voice. The cushions shift under his weight as he sits next to her. When he rubs her leg, she doesn't miss the shakiness in his hand. His touch lacks its usual warmth. "The things I have to tell you aren't simple secrets." He lifts her chin beneath his finger and closes the space between them, close enough to witness his own lies eat away at him. His eyes lock with hers, refusing to release her from the blue storms raining within them. "Remember when I told you that I was dangerous?"