Chapter 7: Promises

Flicking the lights off, they both exited the building and walked into the cold dark city.

With her hands still in his, he looks at her,
"Come home with me" he whispered

She opened her mouth at first, then closing it back again, taking a few moments.
"Maks, I can't. Today was fun and everything, but we really shouldn't have. As much as I wish it was me, Peta's your fiancée."

And she broke him away from his day filled with everything he's ever dreamed of, hitting him back into reality. His mind didn't stay in the present though.

******************
Flashback
*the day after the proposal*

The pressure was finally off of his chest. For the past few years, he's been worried. His dreams of having his own family started to go down the drain after he and Karina called their engagement off, but now he's got another woman to have that dream with. His life is finally back on track and he'll be sure to have a family before the age of 40. He didn't tell his parents, or hers, it just happened. He got what he wanted and she got what she wanted, it's a win-win for both of them.
Sitting in the dressing room, not knowing what to do for the next few hours before meet and greets start, he laid back and closed his eyes, enjoying the freedom that he finally has. Though it didn't last long. Not even 5 minutes later, Iveta popped her head in the room and called him.

"What?" He groaned, not wanting to leave his position

"Come outside. Now" Iveta demanded

"Later"

"Do it now or I'll make some other guys get you out here" she warned

"Fine, I'm coming."

The moment he stepped out of the room, Iveta dragged him to an empty room.

"You're an idiot" she pointed at him

"Wait what? You're making me come here to tell me I'm an idiot?"

"No. You're an oblivious heartless idiot."

"Iveta I'm not trying to be rude but I have no idea what you're talking about"

"Last night. The proposal. Peta"

"I take this as a congratulatory then?"

"Meryl"

"Meryl's happy for us"

She took her hand and slapped his cheeks hard.
"What the fuck?! What was that for?!" He yelled

"While you were busy taking pictures with your fiancée and her new rock, I was making sure she was okay"

"Which you didn't need to do because she's fine!"

She slapped him again on his other cheek
"Stop doing that!"

"She was upset! She barely smiled, and all those fake smiles she gave the cameras, those were for the sake of your show"

"She doesn't want me" he stated

"If it wasn't from your extremely red cheeks I had already made, I would be slapping you over and over again. Maksim, I know you still have some feelings for her, that's why you're not doing the rumba with her. You're scared to show too much emotions with her. As much as she refuses to admit it, she does too"

"I'm engaged with Peta"

"I never said you're not."

"What do you want?"

"You don't love Peta"

"Yes I do"

"Not the way you loved Meryl"

"That's because I don't love Meryl. We're friends, always have been and always will be."

"You don't need to prove me wrong, I'm not the blind one here. I'm just trying to save you from wasting your time."

******************
Now he wanted someone to slap him. He wanted Meryl to slap him. He wanted to slap himself. Iveta was right, he knew she was right at the very moment she spoke to him. However, he never saw a chance for him to get her. Until now. But of course, he'd already messed up his chances with her.

"Maks?" Meryl snaps him away from his thoughts

"Let me drive you back then" he says softly

"Maks it's late. I can't make you do that."

"Fine. I'll wait with you until your ride arrives"

She rolled her eyes. "You're really not going to make this easy for me, are you?"

"Nope. Now we're either going to use my car or wait here. Your call"

"Typical Maks. Let's go buddy"

He smiles and opens the door for her before going to his side. The whole ride was filled with conversations about the show and anything other than their relationship. Despite how hard they tried to not go into the topic, they both realized that they couldn't avoid not having the talk.
Meryl unbuckled her seatbelt and gestured her hand to the handle.

"I'll end it with her" he said, making her return back to her seating position

"What?" She asked softly

"I'll end it with Peta"

"Don't do that. Not for me. I'm okay Maks. You don't have to do everything for me."

"It's not for you. It's for me. What Peta and I have, it's forced, it's not love. You asked me whether I'm happy... The truth is, I'm not. Plus, you don't have to lie to me, Iveta told me all about it and I'm sorry. I'm sorry for being so selfish."

She remembered everything from that night. The moment everyone bundled up to see the scene while she hid in the back. The moment she saw him get down on a knee and took out the ring. The moment Peta kissed him. The moment she felt like someone had just stabbed her from the back and how no one except for Iveta noticed.

"That night wasn't about me. It was about you."

"I'll end it with her, Meryl. Not today, not tomorrow, but soon. Until that time comes, I need you to promise me that you'll still love me the same."

She gently nods at him and wraps her arms around his neck. They stayed there for a while before she kisses him on the cheeks and whispers,

                           "I promise"
___________________________
a/n
Next chapters going to be fast forwarded a few months if you guys don't mind. Christmas is soon and so is New Years and Meryl's birthday! Hope everyone's having an amazing time of the year! - steph