Chapter 18: Thoughts

"New memories?" she says, gazing at him

He let out a large smile before picking her up by the waist and kissing her cheeks.

...

As the sun kissed her skin, Meryl woke up to an empty bed. The scent of freshly picked flowers struck her as she turned and faced the bedside table. Below the vase, a white sheet of paper with handwriting she recognized all too well.

Had to do something and didn't want to wake you. I'll be back by 11

Breakfasts waiting downstairs

Call me if you need anything.

- Maks

Trying to recollect events from the previous night, she rested her head back on the pillow.

Everything about that night seemed perfect. For the past year, she had almost forgot Maks' thoughtfulness. He paid attention to the details. Details that made her love him even more than she had before. He knew her love for simplicity, and last night, he gave her just that. He had prepared dinner under the stars where they had their long awaited conversation. Though she was finally able to speak her heart out, she knew that he wasn't quite ready to do the same, thus they strictly focused on the topics that reminded them of all the positivity in their lives. The night ended the same way nights ended when they were together years ago; the both of them tight in each other's embrace, hoping to never let go.

She glanced at her finger once more, scanning the gleaming diamond she had not seen in a long time.

"Meryl?" Maks peeked his head through the door before entering the room, holding a tray of food

"You're back" she says, almost confused

"Yeah, it's a quarter past eleven"

She realized that she had been buried in her own thoughts for so long, not once did she check the time.

"Well, I brought you breakfast. Sorry it's a little cold, uh" he places the tray next to her

"No, it's fine. I should've eaten it earlier. Thank you."

"Always" he replies, kissing her forehead

She takes a sip of tea and pauses, "What's that?" she asks, pointing at the plastic bag hanging from Maks' hand

He widens his eye at the bag before looking back at her.

"What... This?" she nods

"Oh, it's... It's nothing. Just some vitamins to keep me in good shape, you know?" he quickly walks to the opposite side of the bed and stuffs it in a drawer.

___________________
a/n
and a million years later I finally update! I don't know whether anyone still reads this but oh well