25 | Into the Woods

"Is there method to madness?

I move to you like a magnet.

Maybe we can be magic,

I'm just a sucker for your tricks."

❁❁❁

I HEARD ROBIN call after me faintly but didn't stop. I heard him curse, and then footsteps approaching from behind me. A cold hand clamped down on my shoulder, causing me to brake on my heels and turn around to face the blonde boy.

"Let me go!" I protested. Robin's grip loosened on my shoulder, but still held me firmly in place.

"Let me follow you," he muttered, before letting go and stalking off in front of me. At his declaration, I frowned in confusion, and stared at his hulking figure. Why did he have to confuse me all the time? "You need a partner, don't you?"

I wanted to protest but stopped myself at the last second. Now wasn't the time to bicker with Robin Clair. We had more urgent things to do– like finding my best friend and her grumpy fiancé. With a sigh, I jogged to catch up with him.

"Grab some supplies," Robin said when we reached the assembly area where a small group of students had already gathered. Greyson and Marla stood on a makeshift platform, giving instructions to the group of students who had volunteered to help with the search. It seemed like everyone else had already gone to sleep. Checking my watch, I gasped when I realised that it was already past midnight.

Robin approached Greyson and exchanged a few words with him, before Greyson nodded and clapped Robin on the back. While they continued their private conversation, I grabbed some water, flashlights and an emergency kit from the medical aid tent. I stuffed everything into the small backpack I brought along with me. I was about to leave the tent when something caught my eye. Two packets of saltine crackers sat unopened on the table, and after hesitating for a few seconds, I swiped the crackers and stuffed them into my bag as well. I might get hungry, I reasoned. No one's going to miss a couple of crackers.

"Alexandra! Let's go," I heard Robin holler from outside the tent. I quickly exited the tent and walked up to Robin. Four other boys showed up, presumably to help. They stood a safe distance away from Robin, muttering amongst themselves. Greyson and Marla were also present, looking ready to help.

"Alright, thank you all for coming down to help. We are trying to locate Asher Dane and Emily Park, who are presumably lost in the woods. Your classmates Logan Marshall and Yuko Hideyoshi have already gone into the forest to find them. Please equip yourselves with water, flashlights and a first aid kit, and do not wander off without your partner," Greyson briefed, before handing us what looked like small, colourful tubes.

"What we are passing you now are emergency flares," Marla said. "If you find the missing students, light up the blue flare. Use the red flare only if you are lost or in danger. We've just contacted the nature reserve and notified them about the situation. They are sending down their forest rangers, but they will only be arriving in an hours' time. Until then, be careful and good luck."

The four boys nodded and headed into the woods without hesitation. Robin glanced at me, reaching his hand out to grab the backpack I was holding. He slung it over his shoulder effortlessly, sighing loudly.

"Come on. Clock's ticking."

Without another word, the two of us turned around and began to jog into the dense thicket. Then suddenly, a soft shout made me stop in my tracks. Turning around, I came face to face with none other than Bianca Harding and her two friends. The three girls looked uncharacteristically nervous, especially Bianca, who bit her lip and hugged her waist tightly. Adia looked uncomfortable, while Marissa just looked like she was about to vomit.