30 | The Dinner, pt. 1

"I've been searching for a reason to get away from you,

Because I've never felt so good as when you're around.

And now I'm making up a story the way you want me to,

With a picture-perfect ending tying me down."

❁❁❁

EMILY AND I sat quietly on one of the decrepit benches behind the Grand Library, a spot that we had discovered on one of our many study dates. While not exactly the comfiest or prettiest place to study, we got our peace and quiet. Hardly anyone came around to the back of the library, much less to study.

I felt slightly guilty towards my best friend as I haven't had the time to hang out with her lately. I was too caught up with assignments and my exhibition for Talent Week that I put our regular study sessions on hold. The only time we got to see each other was during our meal times, but we didn't get the privacy we needed because the boys were around. Plus, I wasn't the only one who noticed the sudden distance between Asher and Emily after the camping trip. Something seemed to change between them, and as curious as I was, I couldn't ask her in front of the Royals, and I felt like asking her through text messages was too insincere.

Thankfully, my History teacher cancelled his lecture today, and I could finally make the time to hang out with my dearest Emily.

"Em? How are you? I haven't had the time to talk to you about...well, you," I piped up, casting her a curious glance.

"I'm okay, Lexi," Emily replied with a smile, even though I noticed that it didn't quite reach her eyes. "Things are busy with school, huh? We hardly get to hang out anymore."

"I know," I groaned, shooting her an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, Em. School's just been so busy, you know? Everything will go back to normal once Talent Week is over."

"I hope so," she mumbled, though it seemed like there was a hidden meaning behind it.

"Anyways, how are you and Robin?" she asked, changing the subject and perking up considerably. No matter how down she seems, she always brightens up whenever I talk about Robin and I.

"We're okay. Moving slow." I felt a faint blush rising up my neck as I replied her. Emily's smile widened, and this time I could feel that it was genuine.

"That's good to hear," she giggled. "I didn't miss the little glances you guys shot each other during lunch the other day."

"Oh my god," I cried, burying my head in my hands. How embarrassing!

"It's nothing to be ashamed of, Lexi," Emily chided cheekily. Then, she let out a wistful sigh. "You've got what girls could only dream of."

"Well, you have Asher. Although, personally, he's way too grumpy for me," I simpered, but immediately dropped my smile when I noticed that Emily's faltered.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked, eyebrows furrowing in concern. I put my pen down, our study session long forgotten, and turned my full attention to her. Emily bit her bottom lip, eyes downcast.

In the entirety of knowing Emily Park, I never once saw her with an insincere smile on her face. She was perhaps the sweetest, bubbliest person I knew. But ever since we came back from the camp, I had noticed that her smiles weren't as bright as they were before.

"Does...Does it have anything to do with Asher?" I murmured, eyeing her intently in case she tried to lie her way out of this conversation. When she shifted in her seat and shook her head, I knew she wasn't telling the truth.