Chapter 4 - The Jerkbag

Chapter 4 – The Jerkbag

“… and Jesus died for our sins that way,” the teacher’s voice droned on and on. Gabby hid her yawn. Christ, why was she so tired today? Last night’s thinking must have worn her out.

A low buzz sounded, and she looked around to see from were. No one was responding, or trying to sneak a peek. It had taken her a while before her eyes caught sight of her cotton pencil case, where her phone was flashing its little light, signaling that she’d gotten a text. She looked up at her religion teacher, and saw that there was no way she’d get away with it. Her seat was at the front, and she had a feeling that the teacher wouldn’t let it slide this time.

She sighed and glanced at the clock. They were nowhere near being free of school, and she had to check the text message. Slowly, she raised a finger.

“Yes, Miss Cotton?” Her teacher voice was tired, and Gabby had a feeling that she wasn’t the only one  who couldn’t wait for the day to be over.

“May I please be excused?” she asked. She clenched her thighs together, in an attempt to look as if she had to go to the bathroom. The teacher nodded, and turned to write a hall pass while Gabby sneaked her phone into her jeans pocket.

She rose from her seat and snapped the note.

“Thank you,” Gabby muttered before hurrying out of the class and into the girls’ bathroom.  With shaking hands, she read over the text from Damien.

‘Hi. I’m gonna hang out with Peter at my house later. Come to the parking lot after school, and I’ll give you a ride.’

She smiled at the screen. Perfect. This was going smoothly already. If she’d believed in God, she might even have called it a sign. She leaned against the wall, looking around the tiled room. How would she break it to Peter? If she were entirely honest, she had to admit that she had no idea.

All things in its own time. She grinned at her reflection in the mirror – she’d figure out something. A thought occurred to her, and she stared at the screen again. She had to send a text to Danni.

'I’m getting a ride today, Danni. I’ll drop the keys in your locker. Love you.’

With over thirty minutes left of the class, she’d have to find something to spend her time on. Luckily, this was the last module. Oh well. She might as well spend it and see if she could learn something. The thought made her snort, and she shook her head as she walked from the bathroom. She had to endure the droning voice of her teacher, it would only be a bonus if she actually learned something—

“Baby…” a male voice shook her out of her thoughts. Gabby stopped and looked around the empty halls. Where’d that come from?

“Come on, baby. Don’t be like that,” the voice spoke again. “You know I love you and only you.”

Gabby found the source of the sound and widened her eyes. Jerkbag. She jerked around and squatted down behind a trashcan. Lucky for her that those things were ginormous.

“How can I believe you? You were with her for so long,” a girl answered. “Don’t take me for a fool, Devon. Obviously, you couldn’t have loved me, when you were going out with her for five months.”

Gabby peeked out from her hiding spot and saw the poorly bleached blonde hair that she recognized as Allyssa. One of Danni’s supposed friends. Anger rose inside Gabby.

Devon laughed. “You know I was only with her for the popularity boost.” He poked her nose. “Otherwise, you wouldn’t have noticed me, right?”