Chapter 18 - The Closet

Chapter 18 – The Closet

Before classes, Gabby was staring at Damien unable to say a word. The left side of his face was swollen, and his lip was split.

“So let me get this straight…” she tried to voice her thoughts. “You were so drunk Saturday that you marched straight into a door frame?” It sounded insane—even to her.

“Don’t look at me like that. It was a legit mistake—I tripped.” Damien crossed his arms.

She cocked an eyebrow. “Uh-huh.” She wasn’t convinced. Clearly, Damien didn’t want to talk about it. Instead, Gabby looked around the hallway. “Have you seen Peter today?”

He shook his head. “Nah. It’s the first time in school with his new look though—we should probably find him.”

“Do you think he’s alright?” Gabby was starting to worry.

“He’s a big boy, Gabby. Of course,  he is.” Damien scratched his head. “Do you want to look for him?”

She nodded—she wanted to make sure he was okay. Gabby could vaguely remembered how the different girls had pushed her away to get close to Peter at the party. She could only imagine what they’d do to him within these walls. The thought made her shiver.

They started walking towards Peter’s locker. Damien stopped abruptly and took out his phone. “Wait up.”

Gabby stopped. “What is it?”

“I just got a text from Peter…” Damien frowned and stared at his screen.

“What does it say?” Gabby was becoming impatient. Was Peter okay?

Damien scratched his head. “He just said to meet him in the Hall D—that’s here.”

Gabby scanned the area around the janitor’s closet. The numbers of students passing by were thinning out this close to class. Yet, she couldn’t find Peter anywhere. “Where is—“

Someone grabbed her shoulder and yanked her into a closet. Damien followed inside.

“Ouch,” Gabby said as her head met something hard. That was going to leave a bump.

“Quiet,” someone snapped. Gabby tried to force her eyes to adjust to the darkness to see who it was. The hall outside became silent shortly after, and she let out a relieved breath.

“This sucks,” Peter said. Gabby turned towards the sound and found him sitting on a bucket.

“What happened?” Damien asked.

“I swear… They’ve gone mad—all of them.” He rubbed his head.

“Who’s gone mad?” Gabby asked.

“Them—all the girls. Like… I barely stepped inside before people, who’d never talked to me before, surrounded me. They were thanking me for a great party and so on,” Peter explained.

“Is that bad?” Damien asked.

“Not if it’d stopped there. But Allison and Patricia hooked their arms with me, started fluttering their eyelashes and such—they looked like they’d been possessed.”

Gabby coughed to hide a laugh that threatened to come out. The way Peter was panicking was somewhat cute.

“Guys. It’s not fun—stop laughing!” Peter complained

Damien chuckled cheerfully, and Gabby tried to contain herself. She cleared her throat. “So… you chose to hide.” She giggled, “In here?”

“Yeah. I had to get away.”