Chapter 17 - The Text

Chapter 17 – The Text

Gabby didn’t wake up again until later that evening. Her stomach growled for food, and her back ached from sleeping on the beanbag chair. She recalled Peter leaving earlier because his mom called, but she wasn’t sure how much time had passed.

She made her way downstairs, throwing out the empty ice cream box along with several snack paper. The fridge didn’t offer much, so she opted for some regular toast.

It was strange; she tried to remember this odd dream about hushed voices. Her gut instinct told her that it was something important, yet she couldn’t recall why. She shrugged—it was probably a bad dream anyway.

“Hi Gabby,” Danni’s voice came from behind.

It startled Gabby, and she jerked around instantly. When she noticed her sister, she placed a hand on her chest while panting slightly. “Jesus, Danni. You scared me!”

Danni looked down at her bare toes. “Are you mad at me?”

“Why would I be mad at you?” Gabby frowned. “I just didn’t know you were home.”

“No… I mean—“

“Is mom and dad home yet?” Gabby interrupted. Her toast popped up, and she hurried to spread some cream cheese on top.

“No. They called earlier—they’ll be home late.” Danni walked over to the counter and leaned against it. “Mom said that Dad and Mr. Hales started on their bowling stories, and they dragged both mom and Mrs. Hales downtown.”

The thought made Gabby snicker slightly. Their mom didn’t like bowling at all. She looked at Danni who was fiddling with her nails. “When did you come home?”

“Just now… Allison’s dad drove me home…” Danni scratched her head. “So…”

“So…? What?”

“What did you and Damien do today?” she asked.

“Damien?” Gabby frowned. She hadn’t talked to Damien all day.

“Yeah… We passed his car on the corner. Didn’t you talk to him?”

Gabby shook her head. “No… I’ve literally just woke up—my head was killing me.” She tilted her head causing her neck to crack. “It’s still hurting actually.”

“That’s odd. He seemed to be in a hurry.” Danni walked over to the fridge and grabbed a soda on the counter.

“I guess he must have been picking up Peter or something,” Gabby said and continued to eat her toast. Maybe she hadn’t slept for long after Peter had left. She stared out of the window. It was dark outside now, and for some reason, she was certain that Peter had left while the sun was up.

She shrugged off her thoughts—she could ask him tomorrow.

“So… You and him?” Danni resumed her picking on her nail.

Gabby almost choked on her food. With wide eyes, she stared a Danni. “Me and Damien? No way. I didn’t even see him here.” She shrugged. “You know how mom and dad are—always trying to make me sound normal.”

“Ah. Okay…” Danni nodded. “Well. I’ll go to bed… Night.”

“Night!” Gabby called and stared at her sister’s back. Was it just her, or had Danni seemed troubled by something? She snorted. Stupid question. Of course,  Gabby’s sister would be troubled—she was heartbroken. Scolding herself for her insensitivity, Gabby dragged her still aching body upstairs to her room.

She dropped down on her bed, enjoying the complete darkness. Gabby hadn’t noticed how much the light disturbed her eyes, and sighed in relief at being able to close her eyes. It didn’t take long before her mind started to drift away.

Gabby groaned. What was that annoying buzzing sound? She peeked out of one eye to find her mobile flashing a bright light. Taking a moment to adjust her eyes, she rolled over to read it.

‘I had fun today. P.s. You snore like a chainsaw.
- Peter’

Gabby snorted before she replied.

I do not! You must have had nightmares…’

She pressed send and waited for a reply. Shortly after, her phone buzzed again.

‘Ha! I wish. It was impossible to close an eye when you’re around.’

Gabby rolled her eyes.

’Ha-ha. Very funny…’

Did she really snore? Danni never told her that. But then again, Danni usually fell asleep before her anyway.

‘In all seriousness though. I had fun. We should hang out again sometime.’

The message made Gabby smile.

I’d like that. Night, Peter.’

Gabby yawned. She was so exhausted.

‘Sweet Dreams.’

Despite how creepy it must have looked, Gabby fell asleep with a smile on her lips, and her phone clutched to her chest. Everything was peachy. 

A/N: Did the update go out without problems? Also, we're going into the deeper part of the plot now. Oh-Uh. What do you think happens? Please consider to vote, tell a friends etc. Every bit is appreciated!