Chapter 22 - The Carnival

Chapter 22 – The Carnival

Driving with Damien was pleasant. He’d always been a magnificent driver, and he didn’t put them in danger by trying to be cool. He was just him—pleasant and friendly.

It surprised Gabby that things weren’t awkward between them. She feared that the whole pretending to be together would be weird.

Yet, Damien still cracked jokes, told her about something stupid along the way, and never failed to make her laugh. When they finally arrived at the Carnival, her stomach muscles hurt.

“We’re here,” Damien said.

Gabby looked outside the window and gawked. In front of her was the most astonishing rollercoaster she’d ever laid her eyes on. With loops of the dangerous kind, and a steep hill for that extra rush in the stomach—it was beautiful.

Damien laughed. “Come on, it gets better on the inside.”

She nodded and stepped out of the car. Damien locked up and came around and took her hand in hers.

“You know…” Gabby said and stared at their intertwined hands. “We don’t have to pretend to be dating out here.”

“Rumors travel fast—you know that.” Damien gave her hand a squeeze. “Besides, it doesn’t mean anything, right?”

“Right…” Gabby gave him a smile. She wasn’t entirely sure about this, but like he said: it didn’t mean anything.

The Carnival was gigantic. As far as she understood, it was only in town for a few nights, yet it looked as solid as any amusement park. The rides were in different colors, with fantastic art on it. There were the stomach-rumbles, the wheel of fortune, and a large Ferris wheel

However, the best part was the lack of people. This early there wasn’t a bundle of people standing in line, and neither would they have to.

“You up for the rollercoaster?” Damien teased. He changed direction, and as they neared the massive ride, Gabby’s eyes widened.

“Damien, I’m not so sure about this…” she muttered. The loops looked deadly, and she couldn’t see if there were a safety belt at all. It didn’t look like it.

“Chicken…” Damien winked. “Come on—it’ll be fun.” He dragged her to a seat and sat down beside her. A worker came and secured the iron bar that would be their only security.

 “You’ve got to be kidding me…” Gabby stared at the unorthodox safety precaution. “This is the only thing that’s gonna prevent me from falling? I can basically stand up in this. It’s not—“

She shrieked when the ride started, and clung to the bar with both her hands.

Closing her eyes, she whispered, “Please don’t let me die. Please. Don’t let me die.”

Damien laughed. “Gabby…” He placed his hand on top of hers. “Relax… Nothing is going to happen.”

Gabby nodded, trying to take a deep breath. They were going upwards, and the ticking of the rollercoaster reminded her of a bomb waiting to explode. It was so bad now. They stopped at the top, and she could feel the wind in her hair. Strands of dark blonde hair blew in front of her face, and she stared out over the whole area. It was a stunning sight.

“Are you ready?” Damien asked.

She was about to ask for what, when the cart jerked and started to move. She screamed of all her might as they went around and around in loops. The whooshing in her ears made it impossible for her to hear anything, yet she could recognize Damien’s laughter. The cart was at yet another top, when Damien took her hand and raised it in the air.