Chapter 24 - The Unexpected Truth

Chapter 24 – The Unexpected Truth

“Gabby….”

She murmured for the person to go away—she was tired.

“I need to talk to you… Please wake up,” the voice continued.

Gabby tried to ignore it in the hopes it would go away. A hand shook her shoulder with force, and she jerked up to find Damien beside her bed. The clock on the wall showed that it was late afternoon.

As she tried to steady her racing heart, she turned away from Damien. “Go away.”

“Gabby—“

“What are you doing here?” Her mind caught up to her, and she rolled over to face him with wide eyes.

“You weren’t answering any of my texts or calls so I—“

“So you broke into my house?” Gabby’s voice resembled a shriek. The nerve of this guy. The fact that she hadn’t responded should have been an obvious hint that she didn’t want to talk to him.

“Gabby, please… Just listen to me. It’s important.”

“I really don’t want to talk to you right now, Damien. Please go.”

For a moment,  he was quiet, and Gabby hoped it meant he had given up. She could hear footsteps, and she sighed in relief. Then she felt her bed dip under his weight, and she wanted to groan.

“Gabby, I’m sorry.”

She ignored him. If only she could pretend to be asleep, he might actually go away.

“I know I lied to you. And I’m really sorry. Please, let me explain?”

Why did he have to do this now? Gabby groaned and rolled over to face him.

“I really like Danni, and I have for quite some time,” he said. Gabby was about to say something, but he stopped her with his hand. “We had something going on before she got with Devon. It wasn’t official, and it was mostly fooling around.”

“So… My sister and my best friend dated in secret. Joyful. Glad to be like… literally the last to know.” She rolled her eyes.

“We didn’t date—we never went that far. Neither of us had counted on any feelings, and it started with just hanging out as friends. When I realized that I had feelings for her, it was too late—she was already head over heels for Devon.” Damien scratched his head.

Gabby frowned. “What baffles me here is why you would agree on the whole ordeal with Peter if you were already in love with her. You could have told me about your feelings.” She groaned. “Now if she chooses Peter, you’ll be hurt. And I don’t want to hurt Peter either.”

She was aware that her bottom lip was sticking out. She was pouting like a little child, but she didn’t care; this had complicated everything. Gabby glanced at Damien who was staring at his hands.

“I will explain everything I can—except my reasons for agreeing,” he said.

Gabby pushed herself from the bed and leaned against the wall. Go figure that the one thing he couldn’t explain was the one that made the least sense. She gnawed on her bottom lip while she stared at him. “Explain the whole ‘fake dating’ thing between you and me, then.”

“I didn’t lie about that. I genuinely did it to make her notice me”

“How does that even work? She’s into Peter—she agreed to date him. This whole charade would just hurt you. What could possibly have compelled you to believe this would work?”

Damien shrugged. “It just worked. She did notice me.”

“Was that why you and Peter was on bad terms?”

He scratched his head. “Erh. Kinda… But I can’t explain that one either.”

“Why can’t you explain it? I thought we were friends. No, I thought we were best friends.” Gabby’s stomach hurt from all this, and she didn’t know whether to believe anything he said. If he didn’t trust her, why should she trust him?

“Gabby…” He took her hand. “I consider you my best friend, and there’s not one single secret of mine I wouldn’t tell you. But, there are things I can’t tell you—they aren’t my secrets to share.”

She stared at their hands. His reasoning made sense. She could understand the dilemma of not wanting to share someone else’s secret. It didn’t stop her from feeling slightly hurt, though.

“I just don’t know how to fix this, Damien,” she said. “Someone will get hurt because of this, and it’ll be my fault.”

“No,  it won’t. Besides, it’ll fix itself—trust me.”

“I do trust you.”

He grinned, showing one of his award winning smiles. “Still friends?”

“Don’t be silly, of course we are.” She smiled back at him.

“Woo!”

“What do we do about the whole fake dating then?”

“Erhm.” Damien looked away. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to continue with it for a bit. I honestly believe it’s working.”

“For how long?”

“Well. At least for Matt’s Party. After that, we’ll call it off.”

“Matt’s party?” Gabby was confused.

“Yeah it’s in four days. On Friday.”

“Oh…” Time sure had been moving fast. It had already been two weeks. “I guess that’s alright then.”

Damien smiled and hugged her tight. “Thank you!”

Gabby was about to answer him, when she heard the door open. With dread, she turned her head to find her father in the doorway.

“Any more assignments?” he asked with a cocked brow.

Damien coughed. “Sorry, sir. I’ll be on my way now, sir.” Damien was one movement away from saluting, when he hurried past her father.

Gabby stared at her father. “Was that really necessary?”

He chuckled. “If I can’t scare guys away from my daughters, it wouldn’t be as fun to be a father.” He waggled his eyebrows. “Dinner is ready, by the way.” He winked and closed the door after him.

Gabby shook her head. Her family was a weird bunch, but she wouldn’t have it any other way. She had enough boy drama for one day, now she just wanted to hang with her family.

A/N: I'm so sorry for the lack of uploads. Some of you might have seen my broadcasts this weekend, but I had some difficulties to go through. For days I questioned whether I wanted to continue to be a Wattpadder, and finally came to the conclusion that of course I want to <3

Here's a freshly written chapter, and I hope you enjoy it. I also hope I can get the next out without you having to wait for long. I only have 400 words left of the original, unfinished draft, so after that, you'll see never before revealed content. This is when the story actually continues, and some of you might now this story from waaaay back. I hope you enjoyed this upload, and don't forget to share your amazing love. You're the best <3 Vote, comment, tell your friends, or just read. I love it all <3