Chapter 29 - The Art Room

Chapter 29 – The Art Room

Gabby was a nerve wreck all through the entire day. She flinched at every sound, at every sudden movement. Yet, she forced herself to keep it cool. It wouldn’t be a very good idea if she lost her cool. She was supposed to make this work—it was her only chance.

The day was long and tedious. Avoiding Danni was surprisingly easy when compared to what she'd thought. Damien had taken care of that for her, and now she just needed to stop being such a wuss. She could do this, she really could.

It was easy to give the pep talk in her mind. But as soon as she could see the door to the school’s art room, it became gradually harder.

The fact that she was technically skipping in order to get there early bothered her as well. Peter would come after school, as soon as he'd checked that she had already left. Danni had revealed that he was sincerely trying to stay away, and even though she didn't know why, it still was her problem to solve.

A good old talk with Peter would be helpful, that was her plan.

She would wait here for him to show, while Danni and Damien would block the two doors to prevent him from running. Gabby stepped into the room, and looked around at the paint splattered tables. It wasn't the ideal room for this, but she didn't have any other choice either. Her nose wrinkled at the smell of serpentine, and she walked over to open one of the big windows.

The fresh air helped a lot, and she took a seat near it.

Her thoughts were still in a sort of chaos—the revelation that she had feelings for Peter wasn't exactly making it easier. It probably made it harder. Gabby started to comb her fingers through her hair absentmindedly.

It explained some things, though. The churning in her stomach when she thought of him, along with her gawking made more sense now. Her thoughts went to the mental image she had of him without his shirt on, and she could feel the heat go to her cheeks instantly. Would she get to see it some more? She hoped so. The thought made her giggle.

A loud ring interrupted her thoughts, and she readied herself for the upcoming meeting with Peter. He would come through the door, in just a moment. Damien would escort him, while Danni guarded the other door.

Gabby's heartbeat started to beat faster.

It would be okay, right? This would solve anything.

She heard the door go up, and she looked up to see Peter walk inside, his head buried in his sketchbook.

Gabby rose from her chair. "Hi," she said.

Peter stopped and met her eyes. In a flash, he turned on his heels and walked to the door, tearing at it to open. When he couldn't he groaned.

"Peter, please listen."

He rushed to the other door, but to no avail. That door wouldn't budge either. He leaned his head against the wooden door, and Gabby could see him close his eyes.

"We need to talk about this, Peter."

"Talk about what?" he asked and turned around to face her. "There's nothing to talk about."

"But I need you to kno—“

"You made it abundantly clear how much you despised me, Gabby. Do you remember that? I poured my heart out to you, and you didn't want to listen."

"But that was because—“

"Save it!" He stepped closer, and walked over to her in the opposite side of the room.

Gabby's heart skipped a beat, and she stared at his frame. He'd always been taller than she had, but now it seemed that his height gave him a certain shadow under his eyes. They looked dark.

"Peter, I..." she opened her mouth to speak, but he was almost near her.

"You told me how you couldn't trust me, and how you regretted meeting me." He stopped in front of her. "You didn't want to listen to anything I had to say."

"Peter, that wasn't—“

He smiled a sad smile, and blinked. "Luckily, you don't have to. I'll stay away from you, just like you asked for."

With that, he leaped up on the table and jumped out the open window behind her.

Even through the deafening sound of her heart breaking, she couldn't help but to be impressed at his alethic skills.

Gabby sat down on a chair, and hid her face in her hands. This had been her one chance, and she blew it. She had nothing to say to her defense now. It was game over, and she never even got a chance to participate.

"So, did you make up?" Danni's excited voice resounded in the room. Then Gabby heard the door shut close, and soon after, she could feel her sister's arms around her. "What happened?"

Gabby put on her brave face, and smiled. "He didn't want to listen—it’s over."

Danni was about to say something when Damien burst in. "Guys, what happened? I heard the door and..."

Gabby shook her head. "It's okay, really. I tried." It was hard to hold back the tears. "He had a point; I didn't want to listen to him—why should he listen to me now?"

"But, Gabby..." Danni started.

"No, Danni. It's okay. I just want to go home now. My head and stomach hurts, and I just want to sleep."

"But--"

"Please just take me home."

Danni closed her mouth and nodded. "Okay. I'll take you home."

"And I'll follow behind. We're right here for you, love," Damien said.

A/N: Please remember to vote. <3 PS. The book has two more parts, and is completed now :)