Chapter 11 - The Rumors

Chapter 11 – The Rumors

The two girls sitting behind Gabby annoyed her to no end. Their excited voices could barely pass for a whisper, and Gabby was surprised that the teacher didn’t say anything to them.

“I swear to you—he was so hot,” one of the girls whispered.

“I know, right?” the other girl whisper-squealed. “But, Madison… Who is he?”

“Well. I’m certain it’s someone we know—Allison told me he was coming to her party this Saturday,” Madison answered. “Speaking of that… What are you planning to wear? I’m thinking that new dress I bought last week—you know the one with little rhinestones.”

“Will you please be quiet?” Gabby turned around and glared at them. Both of the girls looked insulted and turned away in disgust. Gabby simply rolled her eyes—she could care less what they were thinking.

Part of her was curious though. Had they been talking about Peter? It sounded like it.

“I also saw him smile to some of the tramps from St. Bernard’s,” Madison started again. “I wonder if he could be from their school?”

“I doubt it. They’re too trashy looking—he was probably just being polite.”

Yep, it was Peter they were talking about. No boy from her would smile at those girls except him. Gabby and Damien had tried to explain what he did wrong, but Peter wasn’t exactly receptive when it came to that kind of critique.

It was a shame in a sense because Peter had no idea how to interact socially with the people at their school. He was too nice to everyone, and she feared that it might ruin the whole project. For the umpteenth time, Gabby started to doubt whether it was a good idea to go to the party.

Shaking her head, she told herself that it would be fun. Gabby hadn’t been to a party since the start of the year, and while she wasn’t a regular partygoer, she still enjoyed being a part of something.

When the bell finally rang, she was out of her seat as one of the first to go. While she looked calm on the outside, her insides were in chaos. Would it truly be okay? Was this going to ruin something?

“Hey girlie—slow down.” Someone grabbed her arm, and she turned to see Damien looking at her with a confused expression. “What’s going on, Gabby?”

“Will it be okay? I mean, we don’t know if Peter is ready, and it could ruin everything. I’m afraid it’ll ruin the whole project. Damien he smiled at a Bernard’s girl—that’s a huge deal, and you know it. I just don’t think he’s—“

“Oy. Calm down, Gabby.” Damien grinned. “It’s gonna be fine, you know that. What are you freaking out for?”

With a sigh, Gabby rubbed her forehead. “I don’t know. I’m just so… confused.”

“You look like crap. Have you been sleeping at all lately?” he asked, surveying her carefully.

Gabby shook her head. “Not much. I’m just so worried. Seriously, if I get early grey hair—I’m blaming you.”

Damien laughed. “You’d rock the granny look. Don’t worry.”

Gabby narrowed her eyes at him, when she saw something out of the corner of her eyes. Focusing, she saw Devon smack his locker.

“I’ll be right back. Hold that thought,” she said and carefully snuck closer to the two people.

“Look, Allyssa. You can’t do this to me—you know I love you,” Devon said.

Allyssa—who was picking her acrylic nails—yawned. “It’s not like you actually does. At least someone else appreciates me.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” he asked.

Gabby saw as Allyssa simply sent him a look, chewing exaggeratedly at her gum and walked away, leaving him standing there alone.

“Looks like there’s trouble in paradise, huh?” Damien said from beside her.

Gabby nodded. “I wonder what that was all about.”

“I’m not sure I want to know. Everything concerning Allyssa is bad news, you know that.” Damien turned around. “Let’s get some lunch.”

They took their sweet time walking, passing Peter’s locker to fetch him. He was nowhere in sight.

“He might already be at the cafeteria?” Gabby asked.

“It’s worth a shot—he could be outside too.” Damien shrugged. “Let’s just get our food, and see if we can find him after.”

It didn’t take long for them to walk the short distance to the school’s canteen. Quickly, they took a place in the line.

“That didn’t last long…” Damien noted.

Gabby turned around to see what he was referring to—it was no surprise when she saw Allyssa and Devon lip locked at their usual table. The sight made Gabby roll her eyes. “I’m not surprised. Besides, they fit perfectly together.”

“I wonder where Peter went; I haven’t seen him since class.” Damien ruffled his hair.

At first, they took a seat in the room, but the slobbery sounds coming from Devon and Allyssa made them both gag. Gabby agreed to go outside, and part of her hoped that she’d get to see Peter too. She was starting to worry.

“He’s over there,” Damien said. Gabby looked up to see Peter sitting with his sketchpad underneath a tree. Walking over, they plopped down beside him.

“Is everything okay?” Gabby asked.

“Yeah,” Peter muttered.

“Why are you trying to kill the paper then?” She cocked an eyebrow.

“The most disgusting thing just happened.” Peter closed his pad and looked at them. “She came over and started groping me while suggesting outrageous things. Never in my life have I felt so degraded.”

“Wait. Back up a bit. Who did what?” Gabby frowned.

“Allyssa—it was so… icky.” Peter shivered.

“So that’s why they were together again!” Damien exclaimed. “That makes so much sense.”

“What?” Gabby couldn’t follow the conversation—she was seething with anger.

“Allyssa broke up with Devon because she thought she had a chance with Peter.” Damien laughed. “Oh, boy. I wish I could have seen her face when you turned her down.”

“I didn’t really turn her down,” Peter said.

What?” Damien and Gabby asked in unison.

“Well. I kinda just pushed her the hell away from me. I think she fell on the ground—I had to get away.” Peter shivered by the memory. “It was horrible.”

If Gabby had any doubt about Peter, it was now gone completely. With tears in her eyes, she wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tightly. “Thank you.”

Peter coughed uncomfortably. “You’re… ehm… welcome?”

Gabby got to her senses and smiled at them. “So… Are we on for party preparations tonight?”

“Sure,” they both answered.