Chapter 28 - The Planning Continues

Chapter 28 – The Planning Continues

The first school day after the big party, Gabby planned to talk to Peter. She was still hurt and angry, but the more she thought it over, the more she wanted to talk it out.

Most of all, she wanted to know what compelled him to agree to this whole thing. It confused her because Gabby wasn’t exactly the type you called popular, and he could have talked to her literally anywhere.

At the very last, a part of her hoped they could get a redo of her first kiss. She’d made the decision with herself that she wouldn’t take that soaked-up, angry lip locking as a real kiss. Actually, it was more like a faint dream—a hallucination.

Gabby hadn’t been able to catch Peter all day. In every class, he had his head buried in his sketchpad, and he hurried away from the class as soon as the bell rang.

In the breaks, she hadn’t been able to locate him. He didn’t answer her calls or messages, and her mood became gradually worse with every minute.

At the end of the day, she still hadn’t gotten a hold of him. Gabby walked defeated through the halls and over to her locker.

“Still no luck?” Danni asked.

Gabby shook her head. Her sister had spent a nice amount of the Sunday to talk everything through with Gabby, and for once in her life, Gabby understood why Danni always refused to talk about her heartbreaks.

It was sad, confusing, and agonizing at the same time. One moment, she wanted to hug her sister and cry it out, the next she had to fight the desire to yell at Danni.

“I don’t know what to do, Danni.” She sighed and closed her locker. Leaning against it, she looked at her sister. “What if he never wants to speak with me again?”

“Don’t think like that.” Danni hugged her.

Gabby wanted to continue the conversation, but she could feel from the way Danni tensed that Damien was near them. The two of them had apparently talked out after he’d dropped Gabby off, and now they were in a blooming—almost nauseating—relationship.

“Hey girls,” he said.

Danni released Gabby and embraced Damien instead. Gabby averted her eyes and stared at the ceiling. It was remarkable how terrible the painting was. Not that she cared, but it was better than to look at Damien and Danni.

“So… I talked to Peter…” Damien said.

Gabby jerked around and faced him. “What did he say? Did he mention me?”

“Well…” Damien scratched his head. “He said that you’ve made it clear that you despise him and everything he is. He seems intent on not bothering you anymore.”

“But it bothers me that he does that!” Gabby balled her fists. It wasn’t fair.

“I’m sorry, Gabby. I don’t know what you said to him, but he seems to be convinced this is what you want.” Damien gave her a sad smile.

“But it’s not!” She stomped her foot. “This is not what I want at all.”

Tears welled in her eyes, and she fought to keep them back. The sympathy looks from Danni and Damien was too much. Gabby turned on her heels and ran away. When she reached the parking lot, she realized that Danni had the keys. Glancing back at the school, she decided that she’d do good with a walk. She needed a plan to get to Peter, and she needed to focus—with Damien and Danni around, that’d be impossible.

A small voice in the back of her mind advised against making more plans. After all, the first one hadn’t gone as she’d hoped for either. It was because of her plans that she even was in this mess.