Chapter 6: Crazy Enough

Song: Jersey by Mayday Parade

----------------------

I waited an hour after Jason left to call Benji.

I didn't really expect him to answer considering how early it was, but after three rings, his chirpy voice answered.

"You sound way too happy this morning," I said teasingly.

Benji chuckled. "It's because I've already had my coffee this morning. And maybe I've been waiting for your call..." He trailed off.

I'm glad he's not here or else he'd see my cheeks blaze red. "Well, when you're ready, you can come over. I have everything ready except moving some of the furniture."

"Okay," He answered. "Give me an hour and I'll be there."

I couldn't stop my smile. "See you soon."

We hung up and I immediately went to work on the cupcakes. After working years at the bakery, I have the recipe imprinted in my mind forever. I gathered the ingredients for the vanilla cupcakes and mixed it together. Once they were in the oven and the timer was set, I made the frosting and set it in the fridge.

I still had about twenty minutes to spare, so I went upstairs to my room and went on my computer to check my assignments. All I had to do today was a couple of discussion questions that could easily be done last minute. Jason can check that all he wants. Usually with discussion questions, there's never a wrong answer. If there is, you'll be corrected and still given an A on the assignment. It's basically for class participation. To be honest, all discussion questions can fall into a black hole.

With my elbow on the desk, I read the first question in my head. The response had to be in two hundred words or more and you have to reply to two or more classmates. That's what I also hated about them. I never knew what to say to them other than great job, or you make a good point when it's all just bullshit.

Eighteen minutes later, the oven timer went off and at the same time the doorbell rang, echoing through the house. I rushed out of my room and down the stairs to get the door. All I did was unlock it, fling it open, and then ran off to the kitchen to save my cupcakes.

Benji's booted steps thumped against the tile floors while I hurried to get the cupcakes out of the oven and set them on the island so I could take them out of the pans.

"I could've been a serial killer." Benji smiled at me and leaned his hands down on the other side of the island.

I looked back down at my cupcakes and started taking them out of the pan. "If you were a serial killer, you would've killed me already."

"You think so?"

I looked up at him. "Is this the part where I run and scream while begging for my life?"

He nodded. "Probably."

"Do I at least get a head start then? Because I kinda want to graduate first."

Benji bit down on his bottom lip and tried to frown.

I smiled at him and he lost his still composure. "Start running."

Once the last cupcake was out of the tray, I took off up the stairs. Only thirty seconds later, Benji came running after me.

One second I was stepping in my room and another I was pressed against my wall and pinned there. It was difficult, but I managed to tip my head back and look up at Benji. He was so close and my heart was beating too hard against my chest. He glanced down at my lips and lifted a hand to my throat. "You're dead," He whispered roughly.