Chapter 19: Benji Calls It Fate

Song: Hero/Heroine (Acoustic) by Boys Like Girls (I still love them tbh)

--------------------

On Christmas Eve, everyone came home.

My mom was still quiet, not really saying anything to me at all. Dad didn't say anything either and Jason barely said hello. After our talk yesterday, I really hope it sticks with her. She seemed like she was really going to try. She left me at the house by myself yesterday, so I guess that's a start.

All I did was lie in bed and watch TV until I fell asleep a little past midnight. Honestly, I'm such a rule breaker. I can't handle it.

Note sarcasm.

"We're going to your grandma's tonight," Mom informed me. "She requested some of those maple bacon cupcakes you made her for her birthday."

I had to laugh. "Seriously? I didn't think she liked them that much."

"It has bacon in it," She said. "She'd eat bacon any way it comes."

"That doesn't surprise me."

She laughed and shook her head. "Do you have everything?"

I nodded. "Everything's at the bakery though."

"Okay, well I'll give you the keys so you can head there. Do you have enough time?"

"Yeah, it shouldn't take long."

She walked to the kitchen table where her purse sat and rummaged through to find her keys. She handed them to me and said, "Don't forget to lock it back up when you're done. Try to be back by six."

"Okay, I'll most likely be back before then."

My mom smiled. "That's fine, honey."

She really is trying, so I would too. I smiled at her and walked out of the kitchen. Before I left, I changed into a pair of jeans and a sweater. This was good. My mom is giving me space to figure things out on my own. It's still going to be a slow process. Not only did I need to work on my relationship with Zoe, but I also needed to work on the one I have with my mom. And I think that's on the right road to some form of recovery.

When I got to the bakery, I climbed out of my car and headed for the entrance. Stepping inside, I found the lights and flipped them on. After I walked around the counter, I pulled my phone out and sent Benji a quick message. Come keep me company at the bakery. And I pressed send.

I started to gather everything I needed and by that time, my phone lit up with a new message from Benji, on my way.

My lips tugged into a smile and I put my phone back into my pocket.

Before I started the batter, I turned the ovens on to heat up. Once the batter was all mixed, I lined the cupcake pans and started to fill them up. Of course I had to taste the batter when the bowl was empty. Maybe I could see why my grandma likes these so much. I put them in the oven and then started cooking the bacon.

"It smells good in here."

I looked to the front of the store to find Benji walking through. "Thank the bacon."

"Or the person cooking the bacon," He teased and walked over to me. He placed a hand on my back and leaned towards me to kiss my cheek. "Hi."