Chapter 26: Which Leads To You

Song: All My Heart by Sleeping With Sirens

-----------

I filled the last cupcake liner and put the tray into the oven. I set the timer and let go of a breath I didn't know I had been holding.

"Relax," Benji said and came up behind me. "It's going to be fine." His arms slid around my waist and he secured me against his chest.

"I know," I murmured.

He lowered his lips to the side of my neck, leaving a small kiss. "Then why are your hands shaking?"

"What?"

Benji reached around me and took my hands gently into his. With sure fingers, he wrapped them around my own softly. My hands were shaking, but I didn't notice until Benji's warm touch stilled them. "There's nothing to worry about," he assured.

I nodded and swallowed the lump in my throat. "I'm okay. I just get nervous when meeting new people."

"That's understandable," he tightened his grip on my hands. "But I'll be there to make sure you're okay."

I couldn't stop my smile.

Being stuck in the house for as long as I have, my social skills are slim to none. It's not that I don't like meeting new people, I guess I'm scared about what they'll think about me, I don't know. But before everything happened with Zoe, I wasn't like this. I liked hanging out with my friends, meeting new people, and just trying new things. Now I'm just scared. Well, not so much now, but before, I thought there was something wrong with me when in reality, there was something wrong with my mom.

Benji kept his hands around mine as we swayed side to side. It made the smile on my face broaden and I relaxed completely in his arms. "I love you," he whispered.

I tilted my head back to look at him, the smile still placed on my lips. "I love you."

He smiled down at me, cupped the bottom of my chin, and his lips descended on mine. He kissed me sweetly and then pulled back to leave an inch between us. "You taste like vanilla," he said.

I let out a small laugh. "I may have eaten one...maybe two spoonful's of frosting before you got here. Also, you know, I have to taste it."

"That's what you have me for," he joked. "But I tasted it on you and I think it's pretty damn good."

"Glad I have the Benji seal of approval."

He laughed and kissed me again before letting me go.

I walked to the bakery fridge to get the frosting and Benji grabbed one of the piping bags I already constructed. He held it open for me while I spooned the frosting inside. "So, what did your parents say when you told them it was me?" I asked, just out of curiosity.

"Um..." Benji trailed.

I stopped and looked up at him. "Please tell me they know."

"They know I have a girlfriend," he said.

"But..."

"But they don't know it's you. As in they don't know it's Amy's daughter."

I wanted to freak out, but I realized I told him not to. "I thought you would've told them when you made the dinner plans."

Benji shrugged a shoulder. "Would you believe I like the element of surprise?"