Chapter 8: Totally Worth It

Song: Young Volcanoes by Fall Out Boy

--------

At first, I thought I was dreaming.

But my phone was ringing and it was ringing loudly.

I flipped on my side and lazily threw my arm to grab it from the charger. The charger was yanked from the bottom and I quickly answered it, thinking it was Mia. "Hello?" I murmured and lay back down on my pillow.

"Lucy," Benji whispered. "I have a mission for you."

I looked at the time on my phone and pressed it back to my ear. "It's three in the freaking morning. The only mission I'm on is getting enough sleep so I don't kick your ass."

"It's a top secret mission," He continued in a whisper. "I need you to come outside now."

"Benji," I hissed. "I'm not coming outside—"

"There's a lot on the line," He interrupted. "There's no time to get dressed. Put your shoes on and come outside."

Then there was a click and the line went dead.

Instead of getting out of bed, I looked at my phone. I was definitely confused and I didn't want to walk my sleepy ass downstairs and outside. But of course, I did it anyway. I got my shoes on and threw my messy hair into a ponytail before quietly making my way downstairs and out the front door.

I walked to the edge of the path to my front door and looked around. "Benji?" I said in a low voice. "Where are—"

Fingers dug into my sides from behind and I yelped in surprise.

I whirled around and slapped the arm of the culprit. A very giggly Benji. "You ass! Are you trying to get caught?"

He placed a hand over the spot I hit. "You hit hard."

"I'll do it again if you don't tell me why you're here."

Benji smiled and grabbed my hand. "Oh, yes. The mission. The very non-existent mission."

"Then what am I doing out here? It's freezing." I wrapped my arms around myself in attempt to warm myself.

He started pulling me out of the driveway and down the street where his truck was parked on the side of the road. He opened the door for me and I climbed inside with little difficulty. Seconds later, Benji was sitting next to me and starting the truck. "Here," He said and handed me his jacket sitting next to him.

"Thank you." I shivered once and hurried to slip my arms through the black sleeves of his jacket. His scent enveloped me and I felt content. "So, where are we going exactly? I thought you needed sleep for work tomorrow."

He drove away from my street and onto the main road. "My sleeping schedule is still pretty fucked from tour, so when I do sleep it's probably only four hours. Trying to fix it, but it's not working out well for me."

"That sucks." I sighed. "Now answer my other question."

"Oh, right." He laughed. "It's top secret."

I glanced at him and noticed he was still wearing the same thing he was wearing while at my house just hours ago. He wasn't kidding about the no-sleeping thing. "I can only hope my mom doesn't wake up."

"What a mess that would be, right?"

"If you mean being grounded until my hair is gray, then yes."