Chapter 1: New Beginnings

When we arrived in England, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the duke's parents' home looked normal, not with statues and guards. Hopefully the duke's home looks almost like this. Once we made it around to the guest entrance, I was escorted to a bedroom in order to get ready for lunch.

 I was quite nervous as I made my to the patio where I would eat with James's parents. Could I make a good first impression? I arrived to see them already there. I looked at the clock anxiously and was relieved that I wasn't late. I was never late. 

 "Come in dear, we won't bite." I jumped as I turned my head to the brunette sitting at the table, her eyes glittering as she smiled at me. I gave a small smile as I took my seat. "You must be Nicole, right?" I nodded as she held out her hand. "Margaret Taylor Wright, previous Duchess of Kent. This is my husband William Taylor Wright, the previous Duke of Kent." I shook his hand too before silence fell over the table. 

 "The chef has prepared a wonderful waldorf salad for lunch. I hope it is to your liking." "Thank you." The food was soon plated and brought to each of us. "So, NIcole, what are some of your hobbies?" I turned to the Duke surprised he had spoken to me. "I like to arrange flowers." "So you like to garden?"

 "No, I'm actually not very good at gardening. I only like to arrange the flowers once they are in bloom and ready to be picked." He nodded, still slightly confused. "Anything else?" "I enjoy singing and playing the violn." "Did you take lessons as a child?" "Yes." "Was this teacher prestigious?" I swallowed the tea I had just sipped quickly. "Yes, very." They were going to keep me on my toes!

After I had lunch with his parents, I was escorted to James's home. It had a pleasant sense about it. The moss covered white wood panel walls were a nice compliment to the distressed wooden front door. The entry was small though, but the walls of it were white marble.

 Throughout the house you could see the continuous spread of dark brown maple flooring. Straight ahead of you when you entered was the staircase. It was the kind of staircase that was white with the step the color of the flooring in the house. There was a clump of empty picture frames on the wall beside it. Talk about a waste of frames.

 The first door on the left appeared to be the Duke's office. On the right was the formal dining room. When I went down the hall beside the staircase I came across a living room. It had a stone fireplace in the center of the far wall. The fireplace itself was the only thing that looked original and old. 

 In front of me was a nice brown leather couch. On the left of the couch was a white chaise lounge and tasteful mosaic side table. On the right was two light brown armchairs with a brass side table in between them. There was a trunk in front of the couch that had a newspaper open to the sports page and used coffee mug on it. Obviously, James, the Duke,  had been here earlier. 

 I turned and opened the two french doors that led to the kitchen. Surprisingly it wasn't too much like a chef's kitchen. I also found two doors on the right: one to the dining room and one to the enormous pantry. On the left was a modern sliding glass door to get to the enclosed patio. 

 Once I made it upstairs, I noticed how unfinished it was compared to downstairs. The master was in the beginning stages still. I found the room where the butler put my bags and settled in there. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I got ready for our private dinner, my mothers words kept nagging me in my head. Don't lose your temper. Don't lose your temper. Don't lose your temper. That alone, without all the other un-princess qualities I possessed, would take but the grace of God for me to accomplish. I sprayed myself lightly with Daisy by Marc Jacobs before I slipped on my Jimmy Choo black pumps.